• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Smoked Salmon Finished Up

Started by Tikaani, July 31, 2011, 05:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

For those that are interested, this is just finishing up the first batch.

First get the salmon out of the smoker, 2-3 hours at about 90-120 degrees.

Get the jars, olive oil and jalapenos ready.

Pack the jars with salmon.

Place a few jalapenos and olive oil to taste, it is important to wipe down jar rims to insure they seal.
Screw down lid snug.

Place in pressure cooker for 90 minutes at 10-11 pounds.  Once finished I usually let cool and unscrew lid
and insure that it vacuum sealed.  Then label with type salmon, seasoning and year packed.

Pat I use a Smoke Vault, FOs hope this is what you were looking for  :biggrin:

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

coyote101

John,

Do you have local wood that is good for smoking, or do you have to buy it?

Pat 
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Tikaani

Pat I use Alder for salmon and just go and get some around the house.  I cut what I need that day so it does not need to be soaked.

John

coyote101

Thanks John. Does alder have a distinct flavor or is it similar to some other wood?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Tikaani

Not sure Pat, it is the wood of choice for salmon and I have never used anything else as I would have to buy it.  I have a friend who on occasion uses apple, he likes it a lot as a change.

John

possumal

John, I know you really enjoy that smoked salmon.  When Snowcamoman visited me last November, he smoked some salmon he had shipped to me, and it was about the best I had ever tasted.  Yummy!
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

FOsteology

John,

That looks really good! How do you utilize it throughout the winter months? Just eat it straight from the jar?

Appreciate the pictures!

Hawks Feather

This was not a post for me to look at right now.  I was starting to get hungry, but now am starved!  Looks good.

Jerry

FinsnFur

You are one organized individual John. Jars all lined up. :laf:
I can only imagine the amount of time you have involved in doing this, but I got to say I sure do appreciate you slowing down long enough to take some pics for us. And it looks sooooo delicious. :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on August 01, 2011, 04:48:43 PM
And it looks sooooo delicious. :biggrin:

It not only looks delicious, it tastes delicious too.   When my wife and I were in Alaska last year, John and his family treated us to a smorgasbord of Alaskan dishes including his salmon.  It was all great tasting.

iahntr

Scott

Tikaani

Fos, I use it on hunting trips, my winter excursions, snacks at work and give some away to guests and friends.  This smoke produced 28 pint jars, I will smoke two more times in the coming days and and should finish with close to 100 jars, the rest of this years salmon will be cooked as fillets for dinner and cookouts.  Glad you guys enjoyed the post, if you are ever up this way you can enjoy the salmon.  :eyebrownod:

John

Yotehntr

That is really cool. Thanks for sharing John!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Dave

Another great post!
That last pic looks fantastic.
Salmon, olive oil, hot peppers - MMmmmmm!

Okanagan

Oh, yes!  It makes me hungry to look.

FinsnFur

Hey John...I just noticed something. First picture up there, middle rack....there's a real nice salmon slice sized gap in the spacing. Almost as if..........well ... :wo: you know what I'm saying.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Tikaani

Nice spot Jim, I have no idea where it went.  Quality control possibly.  :eyebrownod:

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

WldWldWest

Looks good John! How long will it keep when canned?
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!