• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

First "put up" job

Started by Brad H, January 17, 2007, 03:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad H

Here's the outcome of two of my three cats. The first one, not so hot. I did the front legs down and didn't like it as well as these two with the front legs up. Plus it's a small cat so it didn't make this cut, but it will sell. In fact, I'll be sending these off this week so I figured I better get some pics of my first finished furs.

I'm actually pretty happy and kind of surprised at the job I did. The big one is 38" from nose to base of tail, the smaller one is 34". The pool table is half sized incase it looks misleading.

Bopeye

I sure ain't no expert, but they look good to me........... :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

Their beautiful Brad.
I looked at the pool table and I said  :shck: "holy Ca Raap!"

You shouldnt have mentioned it, and waited on the responses  :innocentwhistle:  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

Very purdy kitties....nice job. I have never sold a cat raw before and didn't realize you turn them out like fox. OKtrap was telling me [and Becky] in the chatroom the other night that cats are bringing good money. Hope you do well. Let us know how you make out.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

RShaw

Excellent work Brad. I like the front legs up too.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

clousewt

Nice looking cats, I was in Gander Mt. the other day looking at game callers and in the trapping section they had a couple of bobcat furs for sale. They were good looking skins and they were asking $99.00 each for them. I am by no means even close to an expert, but your skins look alot better than the ones I saw there. Good job, I hope to oneday be able to tan that good. Thanks for the pictures, keep them coming, I enjoy seeing them and learning from you guys, Thanks Tom

FinsnFur

The best place to buy already tanned skins Clouse is from a fur dealer...and preferably one that does their own tanning or one that has close relations with a LOCAL tannery.

These fur dealers entire business's revolve around fur. They have got to have top notch skins hanging in their store fronts or their going to be changing tires for a living.

The furs you see  in different hunting catalogs or sport shops, are basically skins that NAFA wanted nothing to do with, and rather then let them go to waste, the fur dealers find someone to tan them and put em up for sale. Since Gander Mountian, Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, Scheels, MC Sports, Bass Pro and all the others draw such a HUGE clientele, they have no problem moving these skins out because some liberal passing through don't know which end of the rifle actualy fires and these skins are top notch stuff to them....regardless of price.

Fur dealers dont dare put that junk in there shops. They got folks going in and out of there that know how to grade fur themselves, plus it makes the fur dealers shop look top notch to have quality skins hanging for sale.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Brad H

These are skinned, fleshed, and stretched to sell, Clouse. I may have one tanned one of these days or at least have one made into a rug. The cats are shipped and they'll call me with a price after they look the fur over. I'm gonna  try  to get as much corectional criticism and prepping info as I can then. I'll let you guys know how I do after that.

Brad

clousewt

Keep us posted, they looked so good I thought they were finished skins. Goes to show how much I know huh. Still, they look really top notch.

Ladobe

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

OKTrap

Looks good from here. What looks unusual though is the high cut on the rear legs, so let me explain to those who do not know. This is a correct cut on a cat, when selling the pelt. Fur buyers look at the belly, so this will allow more belly than back, thus bringing a higher price. This is only done with cats however ... the other critters get a cut inside the rear legs to give more back to the pelt.

Congratulations, they should bring decent $$$$.

Another tip, if selling to a taxidermist for money, they only look at the back in judging. They do not want them skinned. So sell your yellow belly cats whole and unskinnned to the taxis, and sell your white bellies to the fur buyers skinned.

Good job again.

bowjunkie

Brad H

The 38 incher; a nice cat, $400

The 34 incher; not as wide in color and slightly casty, $150

The 20+ inch cat; $50

$600 total

The average isn't very good being that two of the cats were subpar and one was very good. I was surprised at the differnce in quality between the two big cats, though it was apparent at a closer look upon cleaning both up together.

I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Most expenses covered (trapping from scrach) and I expect to double the take next year with the same equipment.

Brad

FinsnFur

WOW  :shck:
I had no idea that a cat would be worth that kinda coin.

Well done Brad  :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

studabaka

Congrats  :congrats: OK said they were bringing good money, but I didn't realize it was that good. Way to go!!
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff