• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

NC Beaver

Started by studabaka, December 21, 2006, 06:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

This particular set has taken 5 beaver, 1 otter, and 2 coon. It's rigged with a drowning cable, but every once in a while they sneak through the roots before they hit deep water.

I should have taken a wider angle pic, but it's where a small runoff stream enters the river and there is about a 15 foot steep drop off from the top of the river bank to the set. Farther up this runoff I have a 220 set in the culvert under the farm road. So far it's taken 5 coon and a skunk.

Not sure why they like this spot so much, but hey, I only have a half dozen traps out till the deer hunters clear out and these two sets give me something to look forward too more often than not.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

Cool  :highclap:
Stu, do you keep your furs and sell them tanned or sell them to a fur dealer?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

Lately I have been selling them tanned, though I may sell a few otter raw this year. 
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

There's some good coin in that  :sneer:
Prairie DuChien holds a Indian rendezvous here every June, started out as a memorial outing and over the years has turned into a flea market.
You should see the furs for sale over there....man, tons of em. Problem is most look like they were tanned with floor wax and linseed oil  :laf:
But they get a pretty good buck for them.
Wish I had the time to gather some inventory and sell it outright myself.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

studabaka

Yup. Those kinda events are a good way. They have a few similar kinda things down this way...renesance festival, highland games....etc. I'm also talking to a couple of native american groups who are interested in tanned hides for traditional crafts they do. Buckskin seems to be a pretty desired item, but I haven't pursued that yet..... needed to feel confident in delivering a quality tanned hide and then line up a deer hide supply through the guys that process deer around here.

We should talk. Might be something here we could work together on...... interesting discussion at the least.

FinsnFur

Bring it on.....I've gotten out of the buckskins, due to disposal problems, but I really enjoyed doing it.
If you pick it up...I can send all those your way.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

Since you already have the main ingredient, you might as well check the Chicken Fried Beaver and let us know how it is.

http://finsandfur.net/forums/index.php?topic=767.0

Jerry

studabaka

:roflmao: No direspect meant, but I think I'll save my beaver carcasses for my cat sets and stick with venision. Picked up my second deer today standing in the hedge just above this set. Sad thing was 40/50 yards before I arrived at this spot I flushed a big buck with a huge rack. He didn't run up or down river. He did a swan dive into the river and all I could do was watch him swim and disappear into the brush on the other side. Thinking my morning watch might be a bust I never the less setup in the hedge and darn if I didn't see a herd of 5. They were 400 yards off the river in the field and probably close to that up river from me. I new they would graze over to the river, but it was a 1/3 chance they would head back down my way vs heading up river or swiming. Got lucky and once they reached the river they started slowly walking my way. Stopped about 100 yards out. a nice 6-8 point buck and 4 doe. When the buck started to disappear into the hedge along the river, I said geez and took a shot with my mosberg 20 guage. This was the gun my dad bought for 22.50 in 1947, killed many a deer with, and sawed down the stock for me to use when I was 12 or 13 to shoot trap with him. But alas, I misssed. The buck disappeared into the hedge, but the doe bolted out across the field. I worked the bolt and cambered another, drew down on the biggest doe and squeezed off. Flop, she droped like a stone. Paced it off at 125 paces. I lead her like a grouse and aimed at the top of her back thinking the slug would drop. It took her in the neck right infront of the shoulder blades...Man that gun shoots flat....and was the reason I missed the buck. I had aimed just above his back and thats about the hieght I found where the slug hit scrub behind him.

I have never been able to tell the difference between a buck steak or a doe steak coming out of the freezer, however I am certain I could distingush beaver [chicken fried or otherwise] and my pallet just ain't that flexible

Hawks Feather

Congratulations on the deer.  If you ever change your mind don't invite me for supper.  If it is a venison meal, I might be interested.

Jerry

studabaka

Thanks. I think I'm too old to be changing my mind on something like that. Your welcome anytime and can rest assured it will be venison.

Brad H

I've been thinking about taking a few beaver just for some future cat sets. That and my father in law wants everyone dead so his trees stop dissapearing.

From what I've read, beaver meat is the ticket for cats.

Brad

studabaka

My view is that beaver and skunk are gifts that keep on giving in that they are helpful when setting for cat, fox, and yote. My avitar cat was taken in a skunk set.

studabaka

Add another beaver from my favorite set. Rain is moving in so it will probably be way under water come tomorrow morning.

FinsnFur

Holy cow that thing looks huge in the picture.  :shck:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

studabaka

lol. I think it's the pic. It's a pretty average size river beaver for around here. About 44 inch diameter. I forget what a 'blanket' is, but think maybe around 60  :confused: and it seems to me some of the big ones we got in the old days up north were in the 70's, maybe even 80.....course I'm told they get bigger the older you get  :biggrin:

One thing I've encountered is the males often have bite & claw holes on them. Wonder if other males stop by to take advantage of their misfortune and/or if this is a typical thing with river beaver?  :shrug: I don't recall ever seeing this with pond beaver.

FinsnFur

That's kinda funny they would stop and kick em around like that.

I'll have to see if I can find the pics of the 70 pounder my brother pulled from the Mississippi. Year before last I think it was.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

studabaka

I seem to remember you posting that big one. Bet there wasn't any interested in messing with him even in a trap.

FinsnFur

That, I don't know. I only agreed to run the line with him if he had leg holds out  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Posiedon

Just incase you ever do want to try beaver meat, fry it like you would chicken with some creole seasoning in your batter.  It is very good.  My Great-Grandpa is the one that got me started on beaver, turtle, groundhog, and raccoon.  They are all good.  It is pretty much like any game meat. When you learn how to cook it, there is nothing better.

studabaka

OK..... I'm writing that down, but I'm pretty sure I'll leave that to the more adventurous types..... Thanks... I think  :confused: