• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Caged Coon

Started by studabaka, December 30, 2006, 09:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

Cage traps are a handy tool when working in/around buildings, around domestic animals, or in those spots where someone might freak at seeing an animal in a foot trap. They work good for a variety of critters....

"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

Oh them things get fiesty in there too don't they  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

When ever possible, I set them near water, snap on a rope lead, and heave.....much less fiesty when I pull them back out  :biggrin:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

canine

Nice coon Stu!

Do you do ADC work ?

JD

nailbender

Caught a nice one the other nite. Danng sow bent the heck out of things.  Figure I better thin them out though. Rather have 20 for a coon than spend 40 after the dog tangles with them in the yard!  That GSP of mine hates those things! :laf:

Brad H

My dad cage traps skunks to keep them off the property. Also pulls them into the pond. The rope stays hooked to the trap and is strung out away from it. When a coon gets in the trap it pulls every inch of the rope into the cage. lol
If the cage is set in the trees, he throws a tarp over the trap (carefully if a skunk), backs the truck up to it, and pipes exhaust under the tarp.

Brad

nailbender

So you tie the rope on the other side of the pond??

FinsnFur

I think he means they tie the rope on ahead of time, so all they have to do is grab the rope which is laid out away from the trap.

That's funny that the coon pull it all inside with em.  :roflmao:  Then what?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nailbender

Yeah, then what? Tug o war?? :laf:

studabaka

I do a little ADC work. Took the State course and got certified so I can issue permits for depredation. But mostly I use it as a tool in building my relationship with local farmers for hunting & traping area. A few, like my catfish farmer, pay me a little something so I'm there or available year round and some pay me a little if they need something dealt with prior to the fall [like beavers flooding their fields], but generally it doesn't amount to much. The calls I get from homeowners often just turn into a little info sharing on proper exclusion techniques [often garbage, pet/horse food kinda stuff .... bats is also another popular call]. They are generally appreciative of just getting a little info on how to modify what they do....and motivated when I tell them what it will cost for me to come out and remove an animal w/no guaruntee another won't take it's place.... but when their willing to pay what I quote.....I'm there.

LOL on the coon pulling in all the rope. I believe it!

Brad H

Ya have to just...you know...take it back.  :biggrin:

Bopeye

I caught a big sow coon in a Havahart trap a few years back. She made a mess out of that trap and even broke one of her front toes trying to get out.

I set her loose on Hinch Mountain..............did ya hear that Tom!! Hinch Mountain.......we haven't ever been there before.......have we?  :laf: :roflmao:
Remember.......what happens on the mountain......stays on the mountain. Or anywhere else we've been for that matter, to include Ft. Hood Texas......... :innocentwhistle:

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

xbr

I have two (2) farmers with coon problems around thier buildings.  I promised them I would be back in the fall.  I plan on using a couple heavy cage traps.  Is corn the best bait to avoid skunks?  Murphys law being what it is, I thought of building a retangular cover for the cages and transporting them, skunks that is, if a do catch one.  I also thought of using a good shot of starting fluid under the cover before I moving them.  Any advice?

studabaka

Moving skunks is a 50/50 proposition, but my best success has been by easing a tarp over the cage, waiting a couple of minutes and then gently/smoothly moving the cage. Having water near by is handy for dispatching coon and a down right blessing when it comes to skunk. If you expect to have to dispatch a bunch of animals around a structure and there ain't no water close to submerge the trap, consider setting a 50 gal drum filled with water there while you have the traps in. You'll be glad you did.

BTW - I'm sure they would be happy...er....if you got the skunks and possum too, so not sure I would try to avoid them.