• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Lets talk decoys...

Started by ATLRoach, March 03, 2008, 12:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Dont ya just love that ~bordy?

If your like me ya cant help but wonder how many yotes did the same thing but we never seen them because we was busy watching the hawks and owls  :innocentwhistle: :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

jbordy

You know Jim, you are probably right.  I do pay attention to actually "coyote hunting" when I am out but those little things sometimes seem to keep our attention more.  That little lady bug crawling across the log, the red squirrel that doesn't know where he hid the acorn, and the list goes on and on.  Maybe that is what I spend so much time in the woods for!
But I can hear some of the responses now  :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :shck: :shck:
Learn daily and pass it on.

snowcamoman

I have a few decoys, with a few homemade models. I have more owls and ravens come in to check out the decoys than predators, but they definitely help keep things more "controlled" when something commits. With the Lynx, they lock in and I could probably get up and do jumping jacks without spooking them.  :laf:
I haven't tried some of the new Coyote form decoys, but I'd bet they'd do wonders if a wolf was in the area.

KySongDog

I've used a quiver critter a few times but not enough to be fair about its effectiveness.  It seems like it ought to work but I haven't given it a fair chance yet.

Semp

Greenside

Snow

Calling in a lynx must be quite a rush. What type of sounds do you use? And what kind of success ratio could a guy expect. They must be few and far between.  Any pictures?

Thanks

snowcamoman

Greenside,
Lynx are pretty exciting, but they're probably like hunting Bobcats, just with lots of snow. The success ratio is directly related to the Lynx cycle and the area you're in. If you can get into an area that isn't trapped much and has good sign, I'd venture to guess that a guy could do pretty good. I know a guy who killed around 60 of them one season, but it was out in the boondox and they were at the high in their cycle. There is a really short season for them here in the unit I hunt and I seem to have a knack for calling them right after the season closes. I had a beautiful double come in last year as I was sitting high above a mixed clearing with low bush surrounded by a tall stand of White Spruce. It was just awesome to watch the two of them come in from totally different directions. They're sneaky and will use whatever cover they can to get as close as possible to the sound. Don't expect those guys to cross a big open field during the daylight hours. Find lots of snowshoe hares and look for fresh tracks and start calling, it'll pay off.

stxhunter

I have the mojo critter.  For me it was the "perfect" decoy.  I was looking for something more than a vibrating rabbit and this was it.  For $35 it was hard to beat.  It's not all that big either so the weight is not really an issue.  On the mojo website there are two different videos of the critter in action that really helped me make my decision.