• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Just a couple from here.

Started by pitw, January 13, 2021, 01:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

Went out antlerless elk hunting a bunch the last month.  It makes hunting them a little tougher if ya wanna go for a specific type as I did cause I wanted good young meat so decided I'd only shoot at a yearling cow.  I've also only wanted to shoot one from my own land which really limits a fellow with one 1/4 that has elk traffic.  On Friday I got the shot I wanted from my land even though the elk was 100 yds out on the neighboring property.  243 barked, elk went down but did require a head shot to make her quit breathing.
Where she quit.

Where she was finished and the crew that helped remove her hide. :biggrin:

A lot of folk set in this old house of mine that I was sitting 400 yds from.

Elk is cut up and will also make about 100 lbs of pepperoni's and fresh sausage shortly.

This should give us ample meat for the winter as the tall dude in the after pic who is my son that lives at home yet doing school from home had shot one of the biggest cow moose in our area[neighbor who loaded her with his tractor said she was the biggest of the eleven he had on his bucket this year].

Now for the best part and a pic to show it, was when the lad had got back to his truck and met me at the approach into the 1/4 where his moose lay.

Trust me when I say I damb near peed myself laughing when I saw the scope bite as he shoots a 243 as well.  Frick did he get mad at me for laughing and I told him to get over that as anyone who should happen to see him would laugh too.  Sure enough a neighbor and his FIL showed up a couple minutes later and they as well were rolling in mirth.  Lucky young pooh never even felt it and after washing couldn't even tell it happened but was a good experience for him.LOL
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

Congrats on the meat.  Seems like you should be good till at least spring.  With you living in Canada and all, aren't you supposed to be neck deep in snow?  But then, maybe that global warming is happening.  😉

nastygunz

I get scope bite on my .22 Long rifle I have weak wrists  :innocentwhistle: :wink:

Okanagan

Man, I like the way you folks do elk and moose!  That's a good looking crew and looks like a fun time working together on the meat.  For some reason, we razz and joke a lot when skinning and cutting meat.

Love the scope bite!  Classic!  Those are a badge of Earned Experience. 

bambam

Awesome Barry !!  You'll eat good this winter .  :yoyo:

coyote101

Nice Barry.  :congrats: Do you do anything with the elk and moose hides, other than throw them away?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

I like them classic pick up trucks in the photos !

msmith

Very nice!

I've been wanting to go antlerless elk hunting for a long time. If my back holds out, I figure my boys and I will go sometime.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

pitw

Jerry the snow in them pics came on Nov 6th and since then it has been nothing but drought and wind.

Nasty the weak wrists was funny and them classic trucks is what I/Donny drive.  The one he is in was free from an old neighbor who finally got mad enough at it to just give it away, as he said the SOB would always get him to the field/pasture but never get him home again.  Changed the ECM with one from our parts department and it has not died since.

Oke as you know full well hunting elk/moose here is a whole different game than what you guys do and I appreciate the work you put into it.  I can't help but chuckle everytime I look at the pic of the bite.

Bam as one who has known you for a spell, I think we both eat a little to good.

Pat I have a few elk/moose hides tanned in the basement I/we use for projects and have sent a couple to friends who never get a chance at them.  One of my favorite uses for them is to put the hide over a pole on the edge of a bush with the head held up with other poles/sticks.  Listening to gunfire in the general area always makes me smile.

Mike go hunting for them as it is fun but where I hunt it is a necessity to have permission on a lot of private land as them plicks think nothing of going for a 10 mile run.

Made 50 pounds of pepperoni that I'm sure we will need to lock up as Don already went through the 25 lbs we made from his moose.  This elk is soooo tender that a knife is not really required.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Pat, I had a couple of calf elk hides tanned with hair on and they sure are pretty, blends of coffee and cream shaded to edges in blacks and reds.  My sister had one I gave her on her wall for years.  Like deer hair, an elk hide with hair on does not wear well if used much rather than just looked at.

Pitw, we'd hunt elk in easier places if we could be as successful.  Bravo to you.  I am envious, and might manage to kill a few in my dotage years, if in your area.  My son started hunting our canyons over 20 years ago and it is a mixed adventure to this day.  He knows the terrain and general animal patterns well for many square miles.  OTOH it is the worst place to hunt elk that I know of, though there are probably worse.  Very few elk in very steep, thick and wet terrain.  A good side is that it is so thick and steep with so few animals that almost nobody else hunts it, even in a populous state like Washington. 

I think I posted before about a spike bull elk I killed that had spent the summer and Fall in a barley field.  Amazingly tasty and tender, like your elk up there in the grain fields.

FinsnFur

Those boys are growing like weeds :holdon:

Do you spray them also? :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com