• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

ReDecking Aluminum boat

Started by Huntinbull, February 24, 2009, 04:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huntinbull

Wondering if you guys have any information about Treated plywood reacting chemically with aluminum, causing it to corrode. I am redecking my 16 ft fishing boat and wondering which type of plywood to use. Others have advised against treated, due to the above mentioned worry. I figure I will use BC sanded 5/8 (actually like 17/32 which in my math class was barely over 1/2 inch). I am thinking of coating it with "rhino-liner" type material for grip instead of using carpet.

anyone have any suggestions? Should i use marine grade plywood? Cost is almost 2x.

Huntinbull
Huntinbull

Christian Outdoorsman. Certified Ohio Hunter Ed and Trapper Ed Instructor.

Hawks Feather

Hum, that is a good question and I am not an expert on the subject.  Without the Rhino Liner I would save my money a little longer and when I had enough, get the marine plywood.  It would seem like the Rhino Liner material would make a big difference in sealing the cheaper  wood.  I have Rhino in my truck bed and like it, but it does fade sitting in the sun.  If it were me and I decided to go with the Rhino, I would seal both sides and probably put a second coat on the  seams.

Jerry

FinsnFur

I've never heard of the treated plywood reacting with aluminum, but I guess it does make sense since the chemical used in treating the plywood, gives it a heavy salty residue.

All plywood is made with outdoor glue, there's no such thing as plywood laminated with indoor glue, that much I know do know. So in actuality your not gaining a whole lot by wanting to use the treated plywood anyway.
Use regular CDX, or BC as you mentioned and seal it up.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Huntinbull

Nearly finished with the project. Just need to build the front casting deck. Thanks for the info and input. Will try to post pictures of before and after when I am done.

Huntinbull
Huntinbull

Christian Outdoorsman. Certified Ohio Hunter Ed and Trapper Ed Instructor.

weedwalker

You can use regular plywood. After you put it in, get a quart can of that fiberglass resin that has the hardener in the lid. Mix it all up. Then use a 4" paint brush to cover the wood with it. I use two coats with a cureing time after the first coat. It will seal and waterproof the wood so that it dosen't rot. After it cures, you can put any kind of carpet or other covering on it you want.  It will last for many years.

FinsnFur

Cool  :yoyo:
I'm looking forward to see it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

SCcoyotehunter

use aluminum, it's a lot lighter in weight.