• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Letter to elected officials . . .

Started by Frogman, January 23, 2013, 12:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

I just sent this letter, not e-mail, to my elected officials . . .

"January 23, 2013

Dear Congressman,

As a retired school teacher and NRA Concealed Firearms instructor I am very concerned about recent government proposals to further restrict my 2nd Amendment rights. 
   I feel that restricting the availability of certain firearms or restricting the number of rounds in a magazine, or allowing more background checks punishes law abiding citizens while doing little or nothing to stop those who don’t follow the laws anyway.   I seems kind of like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people  to own cars. 
   I think you know that these efforts have failed in the past to stop mass shootings.  An assault weapons ban was in effect when Columbine occurred.
   Instead I propose the following . . .

School Marshals
Allow school staff members to carry concealed in the schools.  This idea is not so radical as some would have us believe.  In every school I have taught in there have been staff members who were former military or had shooting experience.  If these people or any other staff members who were willing would be properly screened and  sent for thorough training they could be effective in stopping these school shootings.  The training should be very thorough.  Something similar to what the air marshals have.  These “school marshals” should be required to conceal carry their firearm very discreetly.  Only the administrator should even be aware that they are carrying.  Kind of like the air marshal program, but in schools.  They should be required to carry the firearm on their person.  Not in a purse or in their desk drawer!   They should receive a stipend for this service, have their firearm and practice ammunition provided and be trained at the governments expense.  I think the NRA has already indicated that they would do the training for free.  Custodians would be perfect candidates for this program.  They are not tied down to a classroom and are used to being seen all over the school.  These “school marshals” would not be policemen to intervene in normal everyday student discipline problems.  They would only activate if an active shooting occurs.  Other staff members would not even know who the “school marshals” are.  Every school would not have to have these “school marshals”.  The potential mass shooter would not know which schools have them or not!  The “Gun Free Zone” signs would need  to come down! 
Thousands of people currently carry concealed firearms without incident or accident all over the country.  This is a proposal that I feel would really help stop school shootings just like it has stopped airplane hijackings.

Stricter penalties for using firearms in crime
Another proposal would be to pass laws making life harder for criminals who break firearms laws already in existence.

Anyone caught with an illegal firearm should have 5 years added to their prison sentence.
Anyone using a firearm in a crime would have 10 years added to their sentence.
Anyone who uses a firearm in a violent crime or murder should have 20 years added on to their sentence.

Please consider making life harder for criminals, not for law abiding citizens and gun owners!

I appreciate you taking the time to consider my letter. 

In closing I would like your thoughts on my proposals.  I would also like to know how you intend to vote on any assault weapons bans, magazine restrictions and further background check legislation.

Sincerely,"

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Okanagan

Exceptionally good letter.  Clear and you maintained a remarkably good tone.  Good for you and thank you for writing and sending it.

Hope somebody on his staff reads all the way through and at least summarizes it for him.  Even better if someone recognizes it as reasonable and doable and promotable.

My daughter used to work for a Senator.

KySongDog

I have written to my senators (Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul) as well as my congressman Ed Whitfield.    I have no doubt they will do all they can to protect our Second Amendment rights.    Congressman Whitfield wrote back to me and assured me he would vote against any gun restrictions.     

I also contribute to their campaigns.