• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

I don't own a hunting lodge.

Started by trailtwister, November 11, 2015, 07:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailtwister

Young’uns these days just no gumption from what I see.
Years ago I met a fellow and we became fast friend hunting and fishing. Along the way we picked up 4 others who were similar in mind set to us all loving to hunt and fish regardless if game was harvested or not.
I bought my property in Michigan’s UP in 1991, just 37 acres depending on how the bay water level was but 37 when it was normal. It is surrounded by about 6000 acres of state and Federal land and that isn’t hunted much due to it being a bunch of cranberry bogs along the road and miserable to cross.
I invited my five long time best friends to come to my camp to hunt and most thought it would be a great place to firearm deer hunt for our two week season. So 1992 there were 6 of us we all shared the normal chores of a deer camp fire wood to cut and stack near the burner, Water to pump and keep pails full for drinking and coffee making along with dish washing. There was meals to fix I admit all of us pretty much brought pre made meals from home we only had to thaw and warm up but each and every one of use had that something special we made at camp. Funny from day one no one had to be told to do anything. If coffee needed to be made some one would fetch the water and set up the grounds in the basket of our 30 cup pot. If wood needed to be brought in and added to the burner some one automatically did it without any one telling them to do so. Same when dishes need to be washed someone just heated water and did it.
It was a automatic unwritten rule NO Drinking till the end of the day when everything was finished and we had a couple hours to kill B/S’ing and playing cards. First friend passed away 1993 about a month after the first of the year, so there were only 5 in 1993 season. By 2000 there were just two of us left.  But the work load wasn’t bad for just the two of us during the two week season.
In 2005 my last partner passed away.  I hunted a lone that year and it wasn’t all that bad. But I got talked into letting two fellows I knew from work to hunt at MY deer camp. They both were half my age supposedly up standing sportsman and citizens.
First thing they did was arrive at my deer camp with a friend of theirs I had not invited. That ticked me off and right then and there I should have sent them packing.
Before they even got out of the truck they were drinking despite stuff that had to be done for opening morning.  Had to tell them to do anything that required them to do some work plus they always whined about having to do the chore. Finally I had enough so the 3d day while out hunting I called my wife and told her to call me that evening with an emergency I need to be home for . They wanted me to leave and let them have the run of the place but I refused knowing if I did that I could expect to return to a pile of dirty dishes no wood stacked for next time I went there plus I was not going to leave my gen set for them.
I then hunted there alone again till 2011. With the coyote’s increasing and hard winters it was easier to see a wolf than deer during a 15 day season.

:eyebrownod:  Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

centerfire_223

True sportsman are hard to find in today's time. Younger generation wants everything handed to them on a platter.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Coulter

That's a tough one Al. Good story, but it's really sad to see that is what hunting camp has come too. That's why I hunt solo 95% of the time. I can't/won't tolerate knuckleheads like that. To bring along a buddy without asking first is certainly grounds to get the boot. I'm planning my annual Chincoteague duck hunting trip in January with a guy that went a few years back. He ended up leaving early due to back problems last time. He still covered his share of the expenses without being asked. The thing that I like more is he asked me if he could invite his buddy on this years trip before he went ahead and did it, I really appreciated that. If his buddy is anythi g like him we should be good to go. Besides, they'll be hunting out of their own boat, I'll be in mine. So I still get to hunt solo :biggrin:

I'll be leaving this weekend for my annual ADK trapping safari too. I've been inviting a waterfowling/trapping buddy from Syracuse up each year and he always has more irons in the fire. This year he is planning to come for a days at least, he asked if he could bring his 10 year old son along with him. Well duh, that's a no brainer there. But I still appreciated the insight to ask first.

I'll be in the wall tent doing all of the camp chores again this year by the looks of it. His son has a nasty cold and fever now so they may not make it. My daughter will be coming up later next week so we can squeeze in a few climbs. I know she won't be bringing anybody with her.

Anyways, hope you can find some decent guys to hunt the camp with again before the wolves kill off all of the game. Any season on them in the UP yet?

FinsnFur

They dont make em like they used to. Generations are getting more an more ruthless and careless. Its scarey.
These are the people that will be running this country. Actually now that I say that, and look at the white house...I think they're already starting.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Never had a hunting camp like these mentioned.  My house has been camp for many different hunts and the numbers of invited people who get a second invitation is much lower than those who don't.  Had a young lady a couple years ago who didn't think she needed to do anything but look pretty.  Wife took care of her and her tude. :alscalls:  The number of folks who think their job ends when they pull the trigger is astounding. :doh2:
I say what I think not think what I say.

trailtwister

State of Michigan is trying to make the wolves a money pit. One season 2013 1000 tags were sold at 100.00 each but the season ended when 100 wolves were killed but it was the first year of the polar vortex and only 46 wolves were killed and the word got out the state was selling more tags than could be filled.
A federal Judge stopped the 2014 season before it was even mentioned by the state but it did give Michigan hunters time to put the squeeze on those who are out to screw the 900 hunters.
Best bet is to practical the 3 s's. Don't tell your wife or your best friend they could be lovers who will turn you in., trust NO ONE TELL NO ONE.

I have a couple coyote hunting friends I would invite in a heart beat. Good guys and close to my age.

nastygunz

We used to have a hell of a deer camp back in the day at the camp, called the Squaretail lodge because it was surrounded by prime  native Brooktrout country.   Gramps was the camp commander yes that was his official title, and he ruled the camp like a 30 year Marine drill instructor.  He used to roll out every morning around 3:30 AM and get a big old pan and a spoon and beat the hell out of it and yell time to get up boys drop your cocks and grab your socks it's time to go hunting!  :alscalls:  we still have deer camp there too, but it's a lot smaller and a lot quieter, not a lot of the young folks want to pursue the elusive Whitetail these days, they would rather play on their iPhones and Facebook.

trailtwister

I've been enjoying my solo hunting the last few years. Season starts tomorrow seen a real nice buck last evening down along the creek. Headed right back to my blind behind the barn.