• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Got another coyote today...

Started by GC, January 03, 2007, 09:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GC

I had until noon to hunt today so instead of the usual walk a circuit and set-up along the way method I normally use, I did the run and gun thing today. I've got tons of public ground available to me, so today I choose a section of a county road that winds through the National Forest. Ever so often along this road there will be a logging road, old or new, that will wind along a ridgetop. It's a simple matter to pull in, grab the gun and caller, hike back to a good set-up point within 250 - 400 yards of the truck and make a stand. Keeping wind direction in mind, a guy can string a bunch of stands out along a stretch of road and cover some ground this way. Doing this in an area that you know there are usually coyotes, from scouting and past hunting experience, often can get you on a willing coyote.

I hit paydirt on the first stand this morning. It's daylight here around 7 AM (CST) so I was hiking in at 6:50 this morning. The first stand location is a well known one to me. A long ridge of about four miles that circles around the base of a larger mountain. Parts of this ridge and a couple of spurs were logged the last two years. About a quarter mile from the truck there is a clear-cut and a narrow saddle. The ridge gets razorback thin here and saddles down between the clear-cut and more open timber. I used a tactic that is a little risky unless you absolutely know you can't get backdoored. I fully expect the criiters responding to a call here to come entirely from in front of me. The ridge is so narrow there is no room behind me, the saddle and clear-cut pinch everything in. I placed the FX3 caller in some brush in the saddle. I went AHEAD of the caller about 30 yards, then off to the east of the logging road 20 yards as there was a west breeze. Perfect crosswind, sun at my back, caller behind me and off to the side.

I fired up Lightning Jack (really likin' this MKII sound!) and let it play while I manipulated the sound to add some realism. About eight minutes along here comes a big male on the lope. He runs down to the edge of the saddle and checks up. I think he doesn't want to get himself in that tight saddle with no room to scoot around. That's exactly why I'm where I am. I held the bead of the Benelli just below his head and at 30 yards he was DRT at the shot.

I went on to make five more stands with no other predators other than hawks and crows. Then I had to beat it back home, but that's alright, I had a good morning.

BTW, I was telling a guy about this hunt and after listening to me and asking a few questions he said, "Ya know, I don't want to hunt anything that makes me think that hard about it." 

--------------------
"Doing the right thing isn't always easy, but it's always RIGHT!"

Jimmie in Ky

Poor fella just don't know what he is missing do he GC. I kind of like that notion of yours. Thought about trying something like that on the LBL dogs. That odd female was kicking our butts really good for a while and that was the only thing I could think of to to try. Jimmie

Arkyyoter

WTG GC.... you make 'em pay......and have lots of fun, along the way  :biggrin:

Oops....I'am a poet and didn't know it... :shck:

Joe

FinsnFur

Quote from: GC on January 03, 2007, 09:33:42 PM

I was telling a guy about this hunt and after listening to me and asking a few questions he said, "Ya know, I don't want to hunt anything that makes me think that hard about it." 

--------------------

:laf: That's funny.

Job well done GC...keep am coming  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

GC

QuoteI kind of like that notion of yours. Thought about trying something like that on the LBL dogs.

Jimmie,
I've done this for years as a turkey hunter and a coyote caller when hand calling with another hunter.  As you know, that is mostly my dad.  I'll put dad up ahead and off to the side in an ambush position, then I sit back and make the noise.  The critter being called is focused on the sounds source and seldom bust the shooter.  It takes some getting used to when hunting alone with an e-caller to do this tactic.  I really don't like not being able to see the caller and decoy.  The terrain has to be just right for me to try it.  However, if the terrain and cover are good and it's the best tactic for that stand, then I'll give it a go.  So far, it's working alright for me.  I know there will be times when I get caught and busted this way.  If that happens then that stand would have been a bust most likely anyway.  I don't know, just a little sumpin' to consider.   
"Doing the right thing isn't always easy, but it's always RIGHT!"