• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Made a set today

Started by SCcoyotehunter, December 18, 2009, 06:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCcoyotehunter

Some of you may remember this picture. I went back today and set up from the back side today. Here is a more blown up picture.

I walked in with the wind in my face and set up in the middle between these two small protected pastures in the woods here. The Farmer says he is still hearing the coyotes in the woods here surrounded by green. Red is where I set up and blue dot is my truck. Wind direction noted. These plowed fields are now very green. I only had my shotgun today to I decided on the close up wooded pastures.
This set was a dud. It was pretty windy with a rain and sleet starting to move in. I used a sceery hand call, it makes a great sound but have yet to call one in with it.

This property is a rolling type terrain with ridges and creek bottoms. Cows loose everywhere.
Would anyone do anything diffently and if so what. Help me master this property.
FF

builderone

With it being windy out i probably would have worked my way down the tree line. Do a set then move a couple hundred yards down and try again  get a feww sets from the spot. wind will mess up your sounds. IMHO
Chad

FinsnFur

Thats quite a bit of timber :eyebrow:
I think I'd try getting in a little closer, like between a couple of those fingers.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

weedwalker

With the wind direction what it is, and depending on the terrain, I'd probably try these couple spots marked in yellow. :shrug:

centerfire_223

Quote from: builderone on December 18, 2009, 06:40:13 PM
With it being windy out i probably would have worked my way down the tree line. Do a set then move a couple hundred yards down and try again  get a feww sets from the spot. wind will mess up your sounds. IMHO
Chad

I agree with builderone, with the wind blowing like it was, wet and damp the sound doesn't get out like you would think it does.

I would have started on the long finger closest to the truck side and leep frogged in there, with a stand every 300 yards. I have seen it in the past where moving 100 yards can make a difference.

How many acres is this piece of property?
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

CCP

QuoteThe Farmer says he is still hearing the coyotes in the woods here surrounded by green.

When is he hearing them?? I would tend to think when they are on the property they would be lying up to the right on the other side during the day.

It is tough  to say without me putting boots on the ground but believe they are most active in that small block of woods very early morning or late evening around dusk. That said I am sure once a month or so they may see one out in the field around the small woods.

I would hunt the big woods middle of a cold day if it were me. I would also wait another few weeks before hunting and call softly on a perfect setup.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

SCcoyotehunter

I would have liked to gone in a little deeper but the rain started down pretty hard and I was not very prepared. I kinda had a moments notice to go, this is why I didn't have the rifle.
In the blown up picture, where the blue arrows are, they have been spotted in that pasture eating afterbirth from newborn calves. The barns you see there are the milking barns.. He is hearing them mostly after dark.

I'm not sure on the acreage but it is a pretty good hike from the truck down that road to the tree line.

Next time I think I will start on the fingers. My thinking yesterday was walk down that protected road and get towards the middle of it.

CCP

QuoteHe is hearing them mostly after dark.

So now where did they originate from? My guess would still be from up the hill in the big woods.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

CCP

To me these are obvious travel routes to the block of woods you were hunting. I noticed the woods you were hunting are around 175 yards wide and close to 500yards long.

The top 2 lines would be easily traveled about anytime, but real good for early morning or late evening traveling coyotes.This will get them to and from the block of woods fairly safe. The bottom line would be easy travel routes to and from after dark for the coyotes.

This looks like the best place to setup to me and only a 400yard walk from the truck. It would give the coyotes a natural place to follow to get to you and feel safe. Hopefully there is a spot in there that can give you a decent setup.

The possibility of them being in the large block of woods for out weigh the possibility of them being in the small block of woods. Could they be in the small block of woods? Why yes! but the percentages are far less. It is all about hunting the higher probability places that they will hear you and be able to respond.

Plus being in the larger block of woods during the day gives them several avenues to get to the farm and the one on the other side of the ridge.

Keep in mind I have not been there so I cant see natural depressions or see were vegetation obscures vision or travel routes. Based on the info you have provided and the maps this is my best hypothesis on hunting this area.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

SCcoyotehunter

This all good information. I am currently working on getting permission to hunt the larger woods and fields on the other side of the road but am having to wait until after deer season.
The barn area has a heavy amount of farm traffic during  the day with the daily milking of cows and tanker trucks coming in and out picking up milk.

I will give it a few weeks and post back to let you know How I do.
Thanks for all the tips.
FF