• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Well I guess that's, That.

Started by pitw, December 21, 2009, 09:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

Yesterday was the final day of regular deer hunting season here.  Bob didn't get one, but I guess I'm as proud of him for not shooting[maybe more so] as I would have been had he got one.   I don't like easy and I guess it rubs off on the young fellow a bit.  We don't use tree stands and I wouldn't pick his ground stands for him[He's hunting so he has to learn where, what and why for himself] and he picked a couple that made me chuckle[they didn't last long].  He could have taken maybe 6 shots but all of them would have been tough and the chances of wounding would have been higher so he didn't pull the trigger :yoyo: :yoyo:.  He did however get to outrun[in his mind] a cow moose, as he had managed to walk between her and her calf and when they stood up he just did what comes natural[assess the situation and run like "L".  He also got to watch a rabbit chasing a magpie and that seemed to be a bigger hilite than the big Mule deer buck that walked by 25' away.  On our way home last eve he was feeling a mite dejected so I stopped the truck beside a whitetail in our field and said "shoot her if you want" and he looked at her and said "Nope I want my first to be one I can look back on with some pride", and told me to go home :bowingsmilie:.  A 1/4 mile from the house we saw the deer he had been hoping for a shot at out in the neighbors field and he says, "cool that big bugger will still be here next year"[gotta love optimism]. 
   Another thing I learned as a parent is they do watch more than I thought.  I carry a possibles bag a lot and after he forgot a call the first day I had to feel a tang in my chest when he showed up the next time with this on his side.

It isn't a work of art and his initial fastener broke the first trip out.  It didn't matter cause he is learning to do stuff for himself and not just take the easy way out and go buy it.
I say what I think not think what I say.

golfertrout

that will sink in his head Barry. sounds like he is on his way to becomeing a man.. and soon you will become papaw Barry  lol :eyebrow:

HuntnCarve

Bob's already well on his way to becoming a fine Outdoorsman.  Well done!

HaMeR

QuoteIt isn't a work of art

With all due respect Barry I beg to differ. Actually it's quite the work of art. Besides,, form over function isn't always the norm.  :biggrin:  You've done an outstanding job raising those boys & should be proud. As you are.  :wink:  The memories that are coming your way are well deserved & will last a lifetime!! Plus we get to see em too.  :biggrin:  I'm already looking forward to your next big game season.  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

alscalls

:yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:  :highclap: :highclap: :highclap:  Looking forward to more of his outings as there are more critters to hunt.  :biggrin:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Yes indeed that whole post shows how well you've done at raising them boys. :congrats:

Me on the other hand...has failed miserably :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Jim-- Raising children requires the teach & pray system. Teach them the values you want them to carry thru life & pray that they take them with them when they get out on their own. Some kids won't get it & some take a little longer. I was in the 2nd class. My boy seems to be stuck in the 1st.  :rolleye: I'm really hoping he ends up in the 2nd class.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

This is an awesome post Barry...you should be very, very proud of him and I'm sure you are. You should also be very proud of yourself for doing a fine job in bringing him up the right way. That is exactly how I want my son to grow up...I sure hope I can instill the same values as I have into him. It is very tough these days...if TV, sports and video games don't get the kids - peer pressure does. I have broken off friendships (very recently) largely do to the fact that the guys I was hunting with found more excitement in the shooting aspect than the hunting experience as a whole. Its not about the kill...its all about the lessons learned and the overall experience. Firing off a round is simply a bonus every once and a while. Once again...fine job man! :highclap:

Steve

Todd Rahm

Thats good to hear Barry and your learn'n them just right in my book.  :bowingsmilie:

Finding yourself bewtween a cow moose and her calf is something you won't forget, and you'll remember enough to avoid it in the future. I know.  :innocentwhistle:

pitw

Thanks guys for the responses. 
  Jim I think my kids are thoroughly rotten  :wink:.  I try to tell them the stories of all my mistakes so they may be able to avoid a couple[this leaves them ample room to screw up].  I also have a whole community here that helps in the upbringing of our young folk. :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Bopeye

I do like that bag. You should be very proud Barry. I'm proud for ya.  :highclap:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

iahntr

Scott