• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

dry but not so....

Started by Silencer, January 07, 2010, 10:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

Got me a stand in today mid morning after dropping momma and the kids off to school.  Such a quiet and peaceful morning, you can tell a storm is brewing.   
I set up overlooking a frozen swamp the wind blowing cross ways from the left to right.  Got the caller placed 40yds out on a stump.

First series of rabbit blues brought the crows and they hung around for a while.   Second series they flew off but to the other side of the swamp raising all sorts of heck.   Third series of bunny blues I then switched it up to pup distress and seen something streaking along the base of that distant ridge working the edge of the thick stuff.   I turned off the caller and lip squeaked but never seen it again.

I treck on over pick up the caller and go to find these coming out to the edge of the swamp and cutting right back where they came from, never presenting itself in the open.

Now I'm pumped back up for calling again, when I first got there I was going to sit at the point of that ridge but the wind was ok where I was as it would have been there,  but I would have had better vision on that point.       

Psyched up ready to go again !!!

JohnP

" I turned off the caller and lip squeaked but never seen it again."

Curious as to why you would do that.  I let mine run long and loud, if I should see something coming in I'll continue to let it run but slowly reduce the volume.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Silencer

I'm still VERY much a green-horn calling critters.  I've only ever called in and shot 2 coyote and some fox over the years, with fox I've always let er rip long and hard.  Next time I'll let it go and see what happens.   

JohnP

I didn't mean to imply that you were doing anything wrong, just was curious.  At times when I have one coming I'll let the caller run but as he gets within killing range I'll lower the sound and hit my squeaker to stop him.  Most times he'll stop and look to where the squeaker is and provide me with a shot.  Fortunately for us out here we can see them a long ways off as they respond to the call and have sufficient time to get ready for a shot. 

Okanagan

For hand calling, normally I don't make any more sound once I see one coming, with the possible exception of a stopper sound or a lip squeek to position him for a shot, get him to take one step, etc.  With an e-caller, I let it do whatever it is doing when I see the critter coming, which is usually to let it keep running.   I pause the sound once in awhile even with an e-caller and may see an animal approaching during a pause.

That's sure is a pretty calling spot.  I like calling frozen swamps.  Also, when the leaves are gone animals don't seem to realize they are not as hidden as they were when the leaves were still on. 

FinsnFur

I think we'd all be surprised to actually know how many times that happens to us all.
Ya gotta consider it a success though to a certain extent. You called him in.

And as long as you didn't get silly before you left. You should be able to call him back another day.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

QuoteI didn't mean to imply that you were doing anything wrong
never thought that at all John, but I'll try anything to get me some  :biggrin: 

If I called there in the fall or spring, I'd never have seen that flash at all for sure.  It was there then gone in a flash.  Its happened before to me, but I havent learnt just yet.  I did learn something for sure from that bugger.   

Going back out Wed. morning with a friend thats never been and wants too learn, but I'm not sure what I can teach him lol..   Might hit that spot again, but I really dont want too as of yet.

JohnP

"but I'll try anything to get me some"

Yeah I know what you mean, I too was once young and single :eyebrownod:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com