• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

the brakes went out on the car 2day!!

Started by cathryn, February 02, 2010, 08:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathryn

while i was in town..

i had picked the kids up after school and was heading for walmart when i suddenly didn't have any brakes , even after pumping them hard repeatedly.

i was able to coast to a stop in front of the post office( at that time didn't even think emergency brake, i kinda panicked.)

called my sis and they came and got me.
we had to wait till traffic died down then i took it into the shop and they're gonna fix it Friday.my brother in law drove it the few blocks to the shop for me.

all i can say is thank God it didn't happen on the way home on our twisty turning roads or where i would have hit someone else.

its a miracle the brakes going out didn't end in tragedy for me and my family.

(it appears the line rusted into near the back tire.

Hug all theones ya love tonight and let em knowyou love em cause things can happen and you might wih you hadnt let the opportunity go by.

FinsnFur

Al crimped it off, for not visiting him in the hospital when he had his nipples exposed. Hurt feelings and junk, you know.

But I am glad to hear no one got hurt :whew: :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

wow, you didnt get anyone mad at ya  ?   

That'd scare anyone  !!!

pitw

Golly don't them mechanical things surprise a person eh.  :wink:  Glad it turned out well for you  :biggrin:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

cathryn

i dont know of anyone ive recently pissed off enough to tamper with my brakes but maybe in my past...................LOL  :wink: :biggrin:

seriously, im very lucky it turned out as it did. my family could easily be injured or even dead had this happened 30 minutes eithr earlier of later.
it was scary and still is when i think about it.

im convinvced God was looking out for us.I felt him with me.

Bills Custom Calls

Glad it all turned out ok for ya

Now I have a little advice

The worst thing you can do is panick in this situation you are used to a full break pedal on your car when you break a break line just push slowly on the pedal and it will find a somewhat firm spot near the bottom,you now have a bit of breaks,now push.You should have 2 breaks working and slowing you down and using your gear shift you will get stopped.You won't be stopping on a dime but you will get stopped.
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

alscalls

:nofgr: :nofgr:

If I was going to pull a prank........it would be a funny one and one where I could watch...... :biggrin:

That there aint funny.......Glad your OK............Ya old bat!  :innocentwhistle:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

golfertrout

glad your ok you ole what Al said :roflmao:

timbertoes

glad you all are ok,
but I hate to spoil your fun, as a teenager it was many a time I drove around town, pumping the brakes...hehe
Meet your adversary on a common ground of wits and skill.
Leave the E-caller at home with the video games.

cathryn

im real pissed now.
i went to get the car and when they bled the brakes another line went. i told them to replace them all.

they also tell me that the frame of my car is rusted and there was a recall on the vehicles for salt damage.
the recall was for 2001 and since mines a 19999, even though its doing the same thign, it isnt covered.
the repair guy said its dangerous so at this time i have no vehicle because i dont trust it to drive it.

i called the recall center and emailed hyundai but its probably for nothing.

ive put 6 new tires on the car and its been pulling but though it was just an alignment issue.

those are the 2 main signs of the rust wear out.
they say that if not fixed the arm or something can diconnect from the frame casuing a wreck.

other than getting another car is there anything you guys can suggest i might try to do in order to get them to cover the cost of a new frame?

the car is a 1999 but only has 112,00 miles on it.

alscalls

Drive it on their lot and take a pic of it with a rusted frame sign on top........And send it to them and say I am still waiting... :biggrin:

Then call your local news and see if they can help ya if they dont reply... :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

First of all...a 1999 Hyundai doesnt have a frame. It has what they call a unibody.
The best way to describe a unibody is look at the bottom of one of your kids model cars or matchbox cars. It's basically a steel platform with axles mounted to it, and then the cars body mounts on top of this instead of a steel beam lateral structure of a typical frame , which is also called a ladder style.

The pieces that actually mount the axles to the unibody are called subframes. A front sub frame is used to cradle the engine and transmission, while a rear sub frame would attach the rear suspension to the unibody.

Several car manufactures had issues with salt and winter driving corroding these subframes because they were made of such thin steel in attempt to save costs, which was the original idea behind the unibody to begin with.
The salt and residue would build up inside these "U" shape channels and not be able to drain out, therefore corroding the steel.

The recalls were to have the vehicle brought in and the dealer would drill holes in the subframes to allow drainage.
If yours is so rusted out that the engine and transmission are now leaning, causing the car to pull, i dont know that they would go through the efforts to replace an entire subframe....but I might be wrong.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

cathryn

ure right. he called it a unibody.

the recall says if its able to be fixed they will fix it by drilling holes in it and coating the underbody with rust proof paint(watever its called) but if it isnt repairable that they will put a new sub frame in the front of the vehicle that has more drainage holes in it.

i contacted hyundai throguh email and am awaiting reply.

the girl tol;d me that Pa wasnt in the salt belt but the recall includes those sold in Pa and wv or currently regiatered in either state as well as several others.

if they wont replace it Jerrys gonna get me a new used car....so maybe i shouldnt fight so hard for them to fix it??

lol

either way, i dont trust the car to drive it so i wont be.

FinsnFur

No, and I dont blame you.
If its any condolence...the car is still drivable even though it's pulling to one side. It's not a good thing no matter how you look at it, but it's not a real big risk as of yet.
When one of the front wheels starts rubbing on the fender, it's time to wrap it up.

I've never owned one of these vehicles, in fact I've never owned any vehicle with a unibody, but I've been a wrench spinner since I was 12 and have worked on enough of them and done enough research on them to know my way around them.

Your going to be hauling some precious cargo, so I fully understand your concern :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers