• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

KY hunt

Started by Frogman, June 26, 2010, 07:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

I just returned from a three day hunt to Northern KY with a hunting buddy.  We drove down on Wednesday.  My friends buddy had a really nice hunting cabin that he graciously allowed us to stay in.  Here are some photos . . .

The cabin from out front.

This nice lake is right in front of the cabin.

Above are some of the nice deer and other game these guys have taken over the years.  This cabin is a true MAN cave deluxe!!  The rattler did make me a little nervous when I learned that it had been killed nearby!!

The lower bunk was mine.

Following are some shots of the areas we hunted.  This is really nice roling farm country with lots of hay meadows and bean fields.

Our "hunting guide for the hunt was this 11 year old who knew all the good hunting places that his dad and others had gotten permission for us to hunt.  His nick name is "Snap" and he was a great kid!!  My friend John gave him some calls and taught him how to use them.  He was really excited about coyote hunting with some experts??

Snap was the first to get a shot.  He hammered a coyote with his tweve guage just a few minutes into one of our stands.  I heard the dog yelp and scream when he shot.  Then a second shot and another scream.  Followed very quickly by a third shot.  That kid can work the pump on that gun!!  This stand was just at dusk and we never did find the coyote in the thick woods and underbrush.  Talk about someone being excited and fired up!!  We later learned that he had the gun loaded with number six shot.  Probably not heavy enough for coyotes!  

We had a great time.  I saw three coyotes.  The first one came in behind me  just at the crest of a field about 75 yards away.    I tried to stop him with some squeeks, but he dissapeared over the crest before I could get him in my scope??  The second one was a really big black looking coyote.  I had just walked across a meadow and down into some woods.  I had to stand up due to the undergrowth.  As I was scanning around me I saw what I first thought was a coyote shaped stump off to my right about 50 yards away.  As I looked more closely in the early morning light I  quickly realized this was very large coyote and not a stump.  The dog was looking right at me with his ears pointed at me.  I was already busted.  He took off before I could get the gun up??  I did finally get a shot at one on the last day.  Snap was standing behind me and I was sitting with my rifle on the shooting sticks.  He saw the dog coming but it was below my line of sight just over a little rise in the meadow.  When I finally saw it it was about 75 yards away.  All I could see was the top of it's head and it's eyes and nose.  I took the shot and missed??  If I would have just been more patient I could have probably sqeeked him in for a better shot?  Oh, well at least we saw lots of coyotes .  It has been a long time since I have seen a live one???  We all had a great time and I think we have created a monster coyote hunter in Snap!  I feel sorry for his family.  He will be driving them crazy practicing with those calls!  I know most of the friendly people we met in KY will probably not get on here and read this post, but I would still like to thank them for their fine hospitality and for letting Snap hang with us!

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

That looks like some pretty good ground to hunt.
10-4 on the snap monster. It even has a nice lil jingle to it. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Looks like a nice area.
Cool cabin too.   :highclap:
Scott

pitw

That looked like a great piece of country.  I'd have not spent more than enough time in that cabin than to have seen the snake. 
I say what I think not think what I say.