• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Taylorsville WMA coyote

Started by cityslicker, June 27, 2010, 09:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cityslicker

Well my best friend and I decided to go out to Taylorsville WMA this afternoon and do some scouting for coyote sign. The first place we went to was a grown up field with woods all around. We found a small watering hole in the woods just off the field that I knew was probably frequented by many critters. As soon as I got up to the edge of the water I could see coyote track all around it. I didn't really intend on hunting, but had my rifle just in case and my Foxpro Spitfire in my backpack. I told my buddy that just for the heck of it we would make a stand there and see what happens. So I sat the caller out in front of us by the water and we sat up by a fence row. I played coyote pup screams and about 30 seconds later I could here something running through the leaves to the front right of us. I then saw the coyote run up to a clearing and I already had the gun up and safety off and bang, down he went. My buddy never heard it and only had enough time to see the coyote fall after I shot. I looked at him and said are you hooked and he was like uh yeah!

KySongDog

Nice story and pic!  Congratulations!   :congrats:

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Jeb

cityslicker

Thanks guys. I almost didn't have a pic to go with the story. I left my phone back at the truck, luckily my friend had his. Because there's no way I was going to pack that dog out of there lol. It was a long way back there and it was HOT. Also I went to turn on the Spitfire and nothing, rechargeable batteries were dead and he happened to have some AA batteries on him. I had my hand call, but really wanted to test out the Foxpro. I already bought some back up batteries for next time. We ended up making another stand and I called in a doe with my hand call.

Bills Custom Calls

Sounds like a good ending to a scouting trip  :yoyo: :congrats:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

weedwalker

Congrats on the coyote Cityslicker. :congrats: :congrats: Nice write up too. :yoyo:

Carolina Coyote

Way to go Cityslicker, looks like you getting the hang of it. Good Job.  :yoyo:  :yoyo: cc

kyfuzzyface

WTG Cityslicker sound like you beat me to the scouting trip !!
Fuzzy

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

cityslicker

Quote from: kyfuzzyface on June 28, 2010, 11:29:35 AM
WTG Cityslicker sound like you beat me to the scouting trip !!

Yeah I guess I'm the only one dumb enough to be out there when it's in the 90's :biggrin:. I just had to get out there and now I'm glad I did. As a bonus my best friend is hooked and so I have me a hunting partner.

WldWldWest

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

coyotehunter_1

Quote... and about 30 seconds later...

:highclap: Don't ya' just love it when a plan comes together :biggrin:

If I may ask, what kind of shooting iron were you using, Savage? It looks sweet.

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

possumal

Mighty fine work, Cityslicker and partner.  Glad you two are now hooked. 
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

cityslicker

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on June 29, 2010, 12:10:43 PM
Quote... and about 30 seconds later...

:highclap: Don't ya' just love it when a plan comes together :biggrin:

If I may ask, what kind of shooting iron were you using, Savage? It looks sweet.

It's a Savage Model 10 predator hunter in .243 with a Bushnell 4200 Elite