• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

More about that big Ky buck . . .

Started by Frogman, July 27, 2010, 08:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

In my previous post about the Ky hunt I posted a photo of nice big Ky buck in velvet.  here is the rest of the story . . .

One of the guys we were hunting with took us to his Dad's farm after our morning stands one morning.  As we were approaching the house on the access road we noticed some very high 9 - 10 foot fences.  There appeared to be cattle chutes built into one of the fenced in areas.  Here is a shot of the access road and the fences . . .

We wondered what the deal was ? ? ?

When we got closer to the house we saw this . . .

And these . . .

This was no ordinary farm.  It was a whitetail deer farm.  I had never heard of such a thing??  Pretty soon this came walking up to us . . .

Our host, Brandon then took us to the yearling pen . . .

These were all yearlings!!!  Awesome!!

We learned that deer farming is big in Ky.  There are over 100 deer farms similar to this one in the state.  Ohio, and Virginia also have several.  Apparently the farmers breed the deer for their racks.  Nice ones sell for $1000.00 and uop depending on the size of their rack.  They have auctions and auction off the semen of the biggest ones.  Collecting the semen is a job I don't even want to know about!  Even the does are from big racked family lines.  They are artificially inseminated.  The market for these deer is such that the demand far exceeds the supply.  Apparently after they reach 3 or 4 years old they are sold to the people who make deer hunting videos and to big hunting preserves.  They are then stocked on these big hunting ranches and farms and hunters pay big bucks to come and hunt these deer.   
I always wondered how the guys on those videos always manage to find these monster bucks.  I know I never see any like that in my area.

The biggest deer on this farm died a few years ago.  Here is Snap holding his rack . . .

And here I am with it . . .

This rack scored 267 if I remember correctly!!

This was all very fascinating to me.  I had never heard of these farms before??  Thanks to Brandon for showing us around and answering our questions about this unique type of farming.

By the way, most of these deer have lost most of their fear of humans!?!?  I will never look at those TV hunting shows with the awe I used to have when seeing them kill those huge bucks???  Now I will wonder if they were pen raised deer?!?!

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Hawks Feather

I have seen several deer farms and we also have an elk farm up this way.  While there are some of the large farms or ranges that have "free range" deer, many have a fence around them to keep the deer (and the money from the trophy hunters) in and the outsiders (non-paying people) out.  It seems that some of the ranchers in the west have come up with another "cash crop" in hunters.  One of my cousins had hunted a ranch out west for about 15 years and the last time he contacted them they said that since he had hunted there so long that they would give him a discounted "trespass" fee of $750 in place of the $1,250 that they started charging.  Needless to say, my cousin said that he would not be headed their way.  Apparently some hunt organizers will go in and buy the hunting rights to an entire area and then charge even higher amounts for hunting there.

Jerry

KySongDog

Staged deer hunts??  Really??  Wow!  I have lost all my innocence now.   :nono:

Frogman

Yea,

I always thought those TV hunters were just way better hunters than me.  They scouted better, found that big buck, put out their doe pee scent, waited in their tree stands for a few days, passing up nice bucks that looked like takers to me, then after hours of hard work and hunting the big one finally walked under their tree stand??  I'm really disillusioned now???

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Jimmie in Ky

It's OK Jim, there are still a number of them taken fair chase. But the big thing is these people control several thousand acres with limited access. Or hunt such places to advertise for the owner who intends to sell hunts there.

But I agree it is hard for the average Joe to even think he might get a chance at even a good deer. I had a 150 class buck working my place a few years ago. Neighbor got him on his way to work scrapes here opening day. He too is a landowner and we keep fair tabs on what grows or feeds on us.

Our problem last year and again this year is poachers. They nailed a few for selling deer meat last winter . They took deer from 3 counties on a regular basis until caught. One of them lived just a few miles from me. Also some of hte local amish are quite fond of deer meat and hunt hard all winter. I haven't even seen a deer track here in two months !!

A deer farm like that one wouldn't make it down here. Somebody would cut his fences  :nono:

I have known about these for some time. They are one of the arguments we have over disease problems here in Ky. I don't think we allow for live deer to be brought into the state any longer. This upset the deer farmers a good deal since they have to rely on thier own breeding stock or those of other breeders here in Ky. Jimmie

Carolina Coyote

I guess its all about the mighty dollar, for me shooting a fenced in Deer or shooting one over a pile of corn is not Hunting, would be no satisfaction in making the kill  and I think it tarnishes the images of Hunters but that is just my opinion, I think most all Deer Hunters dream of killing the Big Buck with lots of Horns but the True Hunter relishes the chase. cc

FOsteology

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on July 29, 2010, 04:44:56 PM
I guess its all about the mighty dollar

Antler currency...

A concept that isn't new to Texas, by a looooooong shot.

Carolina Coyote

They grow um big down in Texas too, I don't think there is anything wrong with raising Deer for Game Farms or what ever they are called and I'm sure there are lot of folks that never have the opportunity to hunt any other way, just different strokes for different folks. cc

FinsnFur

Cool pics too.
We have a few of antler farms up here also, and while I highly disagree with their overall purpose, they sure make cool places to visit. Better then the zoo.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Roundman

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on July 29, 2010, 04:44:56 PM
I guess its all about the mighty dollar, for me shooting a fenced in Deer or shooting one over a pile of corn is not Hunting, would be no satisfaction in making the kill  and I think it tarnishes the images of Hunters but that is just my opinion, I think most all Deer Hunters dream of killing the Big Buck with lots of Horns but the True Hunter relishes the chase. cc

AMEN

JohnP

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

CCP

QuoteI guess its all about the mighty dollar, for me shooting a fenced in Deer or shooting one over a pile of corn is not Hunting, would be no satisfaction in making the kill  and I think it tarnishes the images of Hunters but that is just my opinion, I think most all Deer Hunters dream of killing the Big Buck with lots of Horns but the True Hunter relishes the chase. cc

I agree also.

What cracks me up coming from Fla where it was legal to hunt over corn I moved to TN then Al where it is not. I would get ragged for the corn piles in Fla but they would plant food plots. :doh2: Never quite understood that one. :shrug:

Frogman those are some cool pictures. The hunting shows have been doing that for many, many years. Remember when Jimmy Houston got caught in a closed pen and some video was released of them walking the deer past his stand over and over till they got good footage before he shot it. He made a public apology for that one.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net