• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What should I do when??????

Started by SCcoyotehunter, September 23, 2010, 01:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCcoyotehunter

Yesterday I called out a blonde and a black coyote by howling twice. They came out on the other side of the fence from me and I could not get a shot with the rifle, my buddy could see them clearly but had the shotgun and they were just out of range. The blonde slipped back off into the woodline while the black one just sat down and looked directly at my coyote decoy. He hung around a few minutes but followed the blonde one into thw woods. I tried some distress sounds and some squeaking to bring him on in but he wasn't interested.

What would an experience coyote hunter do in this situation? any suggestions. I am starting to think I should have just shut up and been quiet.

Carolina Coyote

I don't think I would do more than just a Lip squeak in that situation. cc

JohnP

"I am starting to think I should have just shut up and been quiet."

I think, maybe, that is what I would have done.  Then in about another ten minutes or so I would have done a lone howl.  Waited another five to ten minutes if nothing shows I would leave.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

alscalls

In this situation, I leave my buddy right there........ I leave and walk a couple of hundred yards away, from him and the coyotes....  Then I howl again....... Howling brung em in the first place right...... so why the distress?
By howling farther away ( after the coyotes left of course ) they will sometimes come back to smell where they heard the first series of howls..... Which should be right where ya left your friend...... :wink:
It dont always work...... and wind.....as well as a place for the coyotes to check up is still just as important..... so you may need to act fast and adj. your set just a bit...... but you get the idea.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Carolina Coyote

Al, I like that idea and will incorporate it in my book of tricks.  :eyebrownod: cc

SCcoyotehunter

centerfire_223

First off I think they smelled a rat or either they were intimidated by the coyote decoy.

If I were going to do anything I would have tried some pup whimpering.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-