• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Fall Turkey

Started by KySongDog, December 05, 2010, 01:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

Fall shotgun turkey season is under way so I went looking for turkeys early this morning.  After hunting about 3-4 miles with no finding, I was about to call it quits and then decided to try one more spot.  I gave a couple of yelps and got a hen response just over the ridge.  We are allowed to take hens in the fall so I sat down and gave a couple more yelps and then another turkey responded in a slightly different direction.  I knew that there were probably a flock of turkeys in that hollow since they all run together in the fall.  So I got up and dropped over the ridge away from them and, as silently as possible, headed for the "pass" because I figured I knew where they were moving.  Trying to sneak over, around and through all of the dead limbs from the ice storm 2 years ago was a challenge for sure.  I got to the spot I wanted, sat down and got ready not 30 seconds too soon.   They popped around the corner and there must of been twenty or twenty five of them.  The way they were acting I figured they sensed something was up so at about 35-40 yards I dropped the hammer on the first available bird that I could pick out through all of the limbs and branches on the ground.  

It was a jake with no visible beard and I think it is going to taste mighty fine.   :eyebrow:

coyote101

Way to go Johnny!  :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: Congratulations on the bird.  :congrats: :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

Man you make me soooooooooooo jealous :pout:.  Must be fun to go out and get one you didn't raise :wink:.  Great job on the Christmas meal sir :bowingsmilie:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Frogman

Semp,

WTG!  Thanks for the story and picture!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Going back tomorrow and see if I can find another one.   :eyebrow:   There's plenty more out there for sure if I didn't scare them to the next county.   :laf:

Bills Custom Calls

Good Job Semp  :yoyo: :yoyo:

How many can you Tag in your fall season
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Hawks Feather

Looks like you will be having turkey for Christmas dinner.  Really nice picture.

Jerry

KySongDog

Quote from: Bills Custom Calls on December 05, 2010, 04:51:06 PM
Good Job Semp  :yoyo: :yoyo:

How many can you Tag in your fall season

We can take 4 birds in the fall.  Two with a shotgun and two with archery/crossbow.  Only one of those can have a beard longer than 3 inches.  The shotgun season is a week long in December with another two days in October. 

coyotehunter_1

:highclap: That's a really nice bird, Semp !!! :congrats:

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. I felt like I was there, looking over your shoulder. :thumb2:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

markTNhunter

:congrats: good bird that will be some good eating

weedwalker

CONGRADULATIONS Johnny!!! :congrats: :congrats: Some good eatin' there. :yoyo:

bambam

Nice bird !!  congrats.