• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What kind of snake is this?

Started by Lighterknot, December 08, 2010, 07:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighterknot

Any snake experts want to give this one a go?  It was found in eastern GA near the SC border.
Chad

pitw

That's the worst of the worst kind right there, a live one :puke:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

vvarmitr

Ahhhhhhhh, ain't he cute.

My assumption is a Garter Snake.

KySongDog

My guess would be a garter snake as well. 

Carolina Coyote

bigben

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Jimmie in Ky

I have rarely seen one here, but isn't that a hog nose snake? Garters markings are in lines down its sides. Jimmie

slagmaker

Looks like a hognosed. A garter has stripes running down its length and no bright colors. A hog nosed has orange/yellow markings and will "puff up" wehre a garter snake will jsut try a bluff and then run.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

vayotehowler

juvenile garters sometimes look like that i , the yellow stripe comes later and the black color   . I say garter , hognose has an upturned nose and hog nose usually grayer than that , caught on of them in a friends pool one time

vayotehowler

did it make it out alive??? good ratter :hahaha:  I said ratter not rattler, wiki say garter is mildly vemomous , never knew that, the wiki link 2nd foto of a juvenile look right

Yotehntr

Not a garter, they have lines running length wise... not a hog nose... nose isn't turned up...  I don't know the "proper' name, but we call 'em  "king snakes" here in TN... it's not poisonous, and actually eats rattlers.  One of the "good guys".   :wink:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

bigben

I know garters are nasty sob's.  I dont know about being venemous but I know if ya get bit by one you get a nasty infection.    anyone know why the nonvenemous ones allways act so nasty?

had this black snake get a bit defensive this summer on me. 

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

pitw

Todd Rahm

QuoteWhat kind of snake is this?

The kind that makes Barry a World Class Sprinter?

pitw

Quote from: Todd Rahm on December 09, 2010, 06:26:11 AM
QuoteWhat kind of snake is this?

The kind that makes Barry a World Class Sprinter?

And a pretty fair standing broad jumper :laf: :laf:

vayotehowler

not sure on the king, kings are ususally clusters or rings of colors found this page online , http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/scsnake.htm   it is snakes of sc

vayotehowler

the ribbon snake on tha page i posted looks like what alot of people here in va call garters , that black with that yellow stripe it is on the page too