• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

I got a new shotgun need help picking some good ammo for coyotes

Started by varmint, December 29, 2010, 10:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

varmint

835® Ulti-Mag® Tactical Turkey   shoots 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2
20” overbored barrel
X-Factor Ported Turkey Choke Tube - Ulti-Full Ptd.

What would be the best ammo for the job.

securpro

I would start with steel BBB shot and see how it patterns then work my way up to but no larger than #4 Buck. seeing how each shot size will pattern a little different with each choke. I am a firm believer in matching the ammo to your gun  and not just picking what someone else thinks I should use, Every gun will pattern diferent even the same make and model. :biggrin: Good Luck

Joe
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

markTNhunter

i just bought the same shot gun about a month ago but havent had achance to really compair ammo through it when i do ill let you now how it dose i can tell you when you shoot the 3 1/2  turkey loads with it brace your self  :laf: its got a little kick  :eyebrownod:

jdbp

go buy a limbsaver befor you buy shells, but my 835 likes 3 inch federal wingshok copper plated lead bb's

Bopeye

I had to sell my 835. I was using 3 1/2" Dead Coyote loads and they were kicking the crap outta me. I remember when it was cool to shoot the guns that beat ya up, but it's just not that fun anymore.  :nono:
I like the "Dead Coyote" loads, but they are a bit pricey. I am giving $32.00 plus tax for a box of 10. I'm sure the BBB's or #4 Buck will work just as well.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Jeb

You know the old saying about Mossberg, " They kill on both ends "  :eyebrow:........I got a Mossberg 835 Tactical Turkey that will reach out with the best of them !  #4 buck for me tested and proven !!
                                         Jeb

alscalls

3" heavy shot........ I think it shoots better than the 3-1/2" outta my Mossberg .
As for shot size?  Thats up to you...... But look at all the loads...... Even the duck loads, Turkey...Ect....... Its all the same density.... so why pay more just cause there is a coyote on the box?     :shrug:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

CCP

varmint, I am not a big shot gunner but have found the larger shot doesn't do as well in the tighter chokes.

Quoteso why pay more just cause there is a coyote on the box? 

Al I was just on line ordering me some more #1 buckshot (my favorite) and Dead coyote T shot. T shot being my second favorite and I looked at Midway, Midsouth and Basspro but having trouble finding a T shot load other than Dead Coyote. Can you send me a link to another cheaper T shot load. I dont care about the picture on the box either as long as it aint steel and is T shot.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

alscalls

Richard........ I think the last time I bought any I was in the Cabellas store in Wheeling WV....... Its been about a year ago but I think they had it then.... I think what I bought was 5 shot.........I figured it would be good for coyotes and turkeys though I have found I should go smaller on the turkeys..... I have not had the chance to shoot a coyote with the T shot, I dont have any....... But I may have to go back and get some........ :biggrin:

We are only allowed No greater than #4 shot after dark and thats what I used to buy for....... But now that I mostly day hunt I should look at my options.... :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

SCcoyotehunter

I recently purchased some 3" BB Winchester loads and they pack a Whallop, although I have not shot coyote with them yet, I have pattered them. They pattern nice in my Rem 870. I had a big piece of cardboard in front of a wooden pallet at 40 yds it knocked the pallet over.
I have killed about 5 coyotes and my partner has killed several with the dead coyote loads, they are hard hitting too and pattern nicely at longer ranges.
I hope this helps in your decision. I would try a few loads and se what patterns the best in your gun though.
SCCH