• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Describe the ideal coyote hunting day

Started by KySongDog, January 11, 2011, 08:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

I'd like to hear your thoughts on what factors make the ideal coyote hunting day.   These are the factors I'm looking for:

Temperature

Wind speed

Barometric pressure (rising/falling)

Moon phase

Rain

Snow

Time of day

Time of year

Any other critical factors you can think of.

Jimmie in Ky

A blue bird sort of day. Light or no wind. Temps about the mid 30's maybe a bit cooler. Am or pm doesn't matter much. And quite frankly never paid any attention to other factors beyond these. Jimmie

pitw

Temperature should be such that I can enjoy life, wind speed should be between o and 100mph, never checked a barometer but I'd like it to say clear and mild, the moon don't mean much cause I can't legally hunt at night, no rain for me as I finally learned that I could hunt/fish on decent days too :eyebrow:, snow is great for visibility,  from sunup to sundown is a good time of day and it works all year :wink:.  Other considerations would be how pissed I got the wife before I left to know how long before I should come back :laf: :laf:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

vayotehowler

Semp I saw this the other day  on outdoor life the other day and  was gonna post thing similar to this  tonight so here it is
Temperature â€" Cool is best, between 20 degrees and 50 degrees is ideal.Our research showed below zero days and extremely warm ones hampered activity.

Wind â€" This is a very important factor, coyotes move best during 0-5 mph winds.  Up to 20 mph can be ok. Above 20 mph, stay home. Also a southerly direction breeze really gets them moving.

Sky â€" Overcast, haze and fog days are excellent. The dogs seem to move more freely during daylight house on these occasions. We’ve had success on clear days too, as long as the winds are moderate and the temperatures is cool.

Barometric pressure â€" A rising pressure after the passing of a front is your best bet. A steady barometer before a front arrives is also very good, unless windy.

Precipitation â€" During a heavy rain or snow, find something else to do. Coyotes will hold up. The dryer the better, decreasing humidity is a key factor, the lower the better.

Moon â€" The time slots 24-48 hours before and after a new moon and the first few days following a full moon are my favorites. If the other weather factors cooperate, try to get our and call. They seem to be more vocal during these times too.

Summary â€" A cool, calm, overcast, dry day (dropping humidity) with a rising barometer during a new or full moon will almost always be productive if your in a good area.  Good Luc
the link is as follows, http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting-andrew-mckean/2011/01/best-weather-coyotes not to hijack the thread may  be diff else where

Okanagan

Dec. 1, sunrise, STEADY UNCHANGING wind direction just fast enough to easily detect, one inch of snow, 30 degrees F, clear day preferred but mild clouds OK, no rain, within an hour or two after a multi-day severe wind storm with rain at times.

Just got to thinking that 85 degree temps on a sunny beach with warm water, light winds and a good eating and watering hole open to the beach is also good, though not real high at coyote success rate. :laf:

FinsnFur

Plenty of snow...preferably 14 inches or more
Winds less then 5 MPH
Falling Barometer
Overcast - No Sun
Temps, 10 to 15 below zero

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

securpro

The ideal day for me is when I kill a yote, I hunt whenever I can no matter what the weather is, I figure they gotta eat even when the weather is bad but sometimes I do find myself asking myself "What in the (L) kind of idiot would be out here in this kind of crappy ass weather" and myself says to me  :confused: (You and only you dumbass) :biggrin:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

KySongDog

Thanks for that link, vayotehowler!  That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.   ;yes;

Jim -- That is some pretty severe conditions.  :laf:  We usually don't get 10-15 below here.  But I can see how that might trigger the hunger factor.  I wish we got more snow though.

Okanagan -- That Dec 1 day you described is closer to what we might have here.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, guys. 

Teamroper

Read my post under "Hunting Photos". Here are the highlights.

Work called off (with pay) 10 hrs. Yahoo!
5 inches of snow.
Temp: 30
Wind: 0-5 mph
Hunt location: Farm right across the road from the house
My favorite rifle that I just got. (Winchester Model 70 (1971) in 22-250
First hunt of the year.
Called in a double
Got BOTH of them
Didn't have to drag them. Drove my Polaris out to them and loaded them in the back.
Big healthy dogs. 30.68 & 31.24 lbs.
Got back home before dark and had a big bowl of chili that my wife made.
BOYS IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT!
When you stop learning from everybody else you are going backwards.

There's nothing like roping, riding and shooting, but boy, my horse hates it!-Teamroper