• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hunting on sunday

Started by vayotehowler, January 23, 2011, 08:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vayotehowler

I posted on someone elses thread about Sunday hunting and got me to thinkin , here in VA we dont get to hunt on sunday  I believe the law was enacted in 1906 or 1909. The law has nothign to do on hunting during church. It was to give the animals a day from being chased. tghe arguments now include missing church and of course day for animals to rest , farmers dont want people on their land on sunday and the non hunters(birders hikers mtn bikers...) like a day to feel safe without a bunch of guns in the woods. license here cost  18.00 sm game, 18 for biggame includes deer bear and turkey tag. 18 for crossbow ,18 for muzz ldr,18 for archery. or a sportsmans package for 120.00 for all previous mentioned. There is talk of raising the costs and seperating the permits for diff animals. What are u guys take on sunday hunting ? I know some of u already have sunday hunting but weigh in !!   Oh yeah my favorite is we as landowners dont have to pay for the license but they are talking of changing that too?????? THAT ONE REALLY CHAPS MY S

Jimmie in Ky

Times have changed a whole heck of a lot since trhat law was enacted. Folks don't get to hunt all week unless they are retired old farts who have earned the right to do just that. It needs changed in my opinion.

And making landowners pay for liscesne is bull crap !! Who hte heck do they think feeds all this wildlife and watches out for it. Jimmie

bambam

I think we should be allowed to hunt on Sunday. For those of us who work 5 days a week, one day a week to hunt isn't enough,  especially if you have bad weather that one day. I'm a Christian, but I don't think God cares if I hunt on Sunday. If the bird watchers and mountain bikers don't feel safe in the woods, let them ride their bikes around their bird feeders.  :rolleye: :rolleye: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

Tikaani

Truthfully I did not even know that this law even existed, after checking, seven states don't allow it, a few others it is limited.  All these states are in the east, wonder what the reasoning was or is behind the law. 

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

pitw

I can feel for you guys that work during the week.  I also know the pain of extended seasons and the wear and tear on landowners.  Up here everybody pays for the right to hunt but landowners can get some special tags others can't.  I would like to see one day a week, and I don't care which day,  for the land to have a quiet time. 
I say what I think not think what I say.

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

iahntr

I guess that it's something taken for granted here too. I've heard of it,
but man I think that would stink. Only, or mainly, being able to hunt on
weekends, and then it being only one day. I'll admit I'm glad we don't
have it that way, and I think it should be changed in all states.
Scott

HaMeR

I believe the States should set their own guidelines rather than have something written the same across the board. We have too much gubment now. I'm wondering if it could be brought up on a General Election ballot in November.  :shrug:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

WldWldWest

I have the good fortune to hunt in Virgina quite a bit and they dont allow hunting on sunday, It suprises me but most folks there like it that way.

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

THO Game Calls

Quotebut I don't think God cares if I hunt on Sunday

The next time someone tells you that you should be in Church on Sunday instead of out hunting, simply tell them........

"I think God would rather have me out there, thinking about Him, than sitting in church thinking about being out there."

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

bigben

we can hunt certain critters on sunday.  fox and coyotes along with crows.  I wonder how many coon hunters stop runnin at midnight? 

honestly when the topic of sunday hunting first came a few years ago I was a die hard for it kinda guy.  I was thinking of all the time I could be out in the woods on sunday hunting deer or small game.  but got to thinking a bit about it.  I probably wouldn't use it.  sunday is pretty much family time for me.  for lunch we meet back at my grandmothers and it is time to catch up on things from the week.  sunday night I normally head to my uncles house and we watch football nascar or whatever else we want to do but most of the time it is family time.  that doesn't mean I am against it for other people.  pa has a lot of stupid rules at times.  of course they are changin them.  I hope they change the three rod rule for fishin this summer.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Hidehunter

IMO there should definatly be Sunday Hunting.  Here in WV some counties you are allowed to hunt private land on Sun.  Other counties including mine doesnt allow it at all.
Denver                                           

msmith

Quote from: Hidehunter on January 24, 2011, 07:27:43 PM
IMO there should definatly be Sunday Hunting.  Here in WV some counties you are allowed to hunt private land on Sun.  Other counties including mine doesnt allow it at all.

I agree. Our county does not have it, but the adjacent county does. Doesn't seem right. I give the animals a 5 day break every week. I will NOT miss worship services, morning or evening, to go hunting, but what I do in between times, on my own property should be MY business. Shoot, you can play golf, get drunk, go fishing, bale hay, water ski, or whatever on Sunday, just not hunt. Go figger.

Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

vayotehowler

Very valid points everyone knew this would be a good forum to ask. Ride bike around the bird feeder   :alscalls: :alscalls:.  I had a discussion with the outdoor writer here and told him much of the same about the private landowners, and how hunting on my land should be my choice since we do most of the work developing land. never had a need for a gamewarden , and pay taxes , I dont see conservation office working my land for better deer , I dont fault em but dont need them for much and dont hate em jsut dont need em. we can hunt and kill coyotes as a many as we can and are a nusiance species except on sunday , When they get a day of rest. I know here, the  law was for the rest of animals. here is a recent article  https://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/274697