• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Deer and bloodtrails

Started by Dave, January 21, 2011, 10:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

We've got one more week of winter archery here in PA, and I've been trying to fill my buck tag since after Christmas.  Came close yesterday with a decent 8 pt at 50 yds, but he and about 5 others cut out of the drive between two houses before coming through the backyard I was set up in.  Gotta love suburban hunting. 
Anyone else suffer from this phenominon?:
A friend is pushing some deer - I see them coming - 5 doe and I'm not interested in shooting a doe during the 1st drive of the day.  None the less I have the crossbow shouldered and the crosshairs on the biggest doe, standing broadside, at 20 yards.  One of the first few doe of the group caught a little bit of my wind and started running, followed by the 2nd.  The doe I'm lined up on is the last one and she's ready to react.  Not sure why, but i had to shoot her before she took off.  I've done this in other situations, too.  Out bird hunting and see a rabbit in some brush.  Don't really want to deal with a rabbit, but all of the sudden it explodes out and I can't help myself and need to shoot it before it 'gets away.'   :wo:  This happen to anyone else?

Well here are a few pics of the bloodtrail of the doe (just got an iphone and wanted to try the camera)  After hitting the deer right behind the shoulder I watched it for over 10 minutes.  5 minutes it just stood in one spot, then moved about 10 yds, bedded down for a few more.  Then it got up, moved about another 10 and bedded behind a large blowdown.  I gave it some time and then went back and found her there dead.  The hit might have been just a tad low, but I would've thought it would last no more than 30 seconds.  Take a look at this blood trail. 

And this is where she was standing

pitw

Man did you cause her a serious leak eh.   :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.

HaMeR

Yeah todays broadheads are wicked!! I can see why you didn't have any trouble tracking her.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

I have the same trouble at times myself. Aint no splainin it really. I guess it's just a "man's gotta do what a mans gotta do" thing huh??  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HuntnCarve

Good shootin Dave!  That snow really makes a nice backdrop for when you have to trail one.  It's what we all wish for when there's tracking to be done :highclap:

Hawks Feather

Nice blood trail on the doe.  It sure shows up good in the snow, but then that would have shown up anywhere.

As for your "why did I shoot" question it happened to me many years ago.  I was about 17 and another classmate and I took a younger hunter out for rabbits.  We were by a small barn and I looked under a solid top pallet.  I saw a rabbit and told the other guy that we would let the kid have the first shot.  I told him to cock his single shot .410, get ready, and I would jump on the pallet.  He was ready and I jumped on the pallet and out came the rabbit.  The rabbit didn't go far and there was a boom and the bunny rolled.  I yelled way to go and both of them were standing there looking at me.  It seems I shot it.    :doh2:

Jerry

HuntnCarve

Good shooting Jerry!  In your mind as that rabbit was bolting away, you were thinking.  "Why aren't those guys shooting!!! [As milliseconds tick by]...  Oh well, I might as well take the shot?"  Boom!!!   Can't blame a fellow for having lightening fast reflexes :eyebrow:

Hawks Feather

Honestly, I didn't even know that I had shot it.  I jumped, it ran, and a gun went boom.  I really thought one of them had shot it.

JErry

vvarmitr

Do you suppose Dave it's like when a predator has something run from it it just has to chase it?  :wo:

securpro

Quote from: Hawks Feather on January 22, 2011, 08:50:54 AM
Honestly, I didn't even know that I had shot it.  I jumped, it ran, and a gun went boom.  I really thought one of them had shot it.

JErry
:holdon: I dont think I wanna hunt with you any time soon.... :alscalls: :alscalls: Do you stiil do that Jerry? :wo:

Joe
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

Hawks Feather

Quote from: securpro on January 22, 2011, 10:40:23 AM
:holdon: I dont think I wanna hunt with you any time soon.... :alscalls: :alscalls: Do you stiil do that Jerry? :wo:
Joe

No, now by the time I get the gun safety off and up to my shoulder,  whatever I to shoot at is long gone.

Jerry

Carolina Coyote

I believe I could Blood Trail a deer with a background and trail like that?  It always amazes me when I shoot a Deer and it runs off, I can look and look and never find one drop of blood and go get one of my Eagle Eye Beagle Buddy's and they walk up and say There's Blood and I get down on my knees and look and he still has to point to the spot of blood as big as a pinhead.  :shrug: cc

Dave

Quote from: vvarmitr on January 22, 2011, 09:36:25 AM
Do you suppose Dave it's like when a predator has something run from it it just has to chase it?  :wo:
I'm thinking sort of the same thing.  I feel it's sort of a dormant gene that's in all of us.  At least in Jerry and me, anyway.