• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Red Dot

Started by nastygunz, March 05, 2011, 10:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

Does anybody know of anyone who makes/sells a red dot sight that uses AAA or AA batteries?

pitw

You are probably aware that I may not have anything like this. :wink:  I went and read up on the EOTech and it says it is submersible to 10 feet,  just what kind of gun do you fellows shoot :confused:.  Ain't you afraid of being electrified :shrug:
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

As long as you stay in childrens end of the pool your ok Barry.
Over by the diving board, where it gets deeper, the pressure increases as you descend or go deeper. Because water is denser than air, pressure increases more rapidly as you descend. Air pressure decreases with altitude and water pressure increases with depth.

If you go below the rated specs, the reddot can implode from the pressure.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

I suppose that would be deep enough as I've never saw a coyote deeper in the water :laf: :laf:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

To hijack this sidetrack, I shot a red dot sight/scope or whatever you  call them, on a .22 rimfire last year.  A friend of mine was showing me some quirky and non-standard firearms he has where he lives out in the country (US).

We took the .22 out in his yard to do some shooting.  It was a .22 auto pistol, Ruger I believe, with a medium length barrel.  The holster was a nifty rig that snugged perfectly to the pistol grip and became a very solid stock as long as you pulled it against your shoulder.  It did not "attach" so was legal in some bizarre gun law.

Anyway, it was FUN to shoot.  We could make a pop can jump every shot till the clip ran dry.  Pretty big target for a shoulder shooter starting at probably 40 feet.

What I wonder is how fine a hold a man can make with the red dot.    I'm sure it would center on rabbit ribs at 60 feet
but will it aim fine enough to take the head off a grouse at that distance?

KySongDog

The EOTech has a 1 MOA dot.   It is a true halographic display so you can keep both eyes open, put the dot on the target, and fire.   The EOTech is made for battle conditions.

Many other red dots are 4 MOA or larger.      The EOTech is pricey but some feel they are worth it.  Same goes for Triijicon ACOG or Aimpoint.

WldWldWest

I'd go with the Aimpoint, I have both in several different variations. But I lean towards the Aimpoint ML3, It has 50,000 hour life span on the batteries and it has an 2 MOA dot and like a Timex it will take a licking and keep on ticking! I cant afford the Trijicon's but they are really nice with no battery needed!

Downside bieng they dont use AAA or AA Batteries but ya get what ya pay for!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

nastygunz

Red Dots shine on .22 hand guns, no pun intended  :biggrin:

Okanagan

Quote from: WldWldWest on March 05, 2011, 05:17:39 PM
I'd go with the Aimpoint, I have both in several different variations. But I lean towards the Aimpoint ML3, It has 50,000 hour life span on the batteries and it has an 2 MOA dot and like a Timex it will take a licking and keep on ticking! I cant afford the Trujicon's but they are really nice with no battery needed!

Re:  takes a licking...  A friend of mine was part of the team that developed the ACOG.  He said that their goal was to develop a battle sight that could withstand a 15 foot drop onto concrete and still function (in case a Navy SEAL dropped one out of a helicopter as he exited, etc.) 

In the early days of such sights, elite US forces would secretly order the sights from Trujicon, and keep it secret from other elite US forces.  Funny.

Interesting man, an engineer who isn't working directly on such stuff now.  He told me stories of booking a whole shooting range and experimenting with Gene Stoner and (?) Galil (?) the Israeli firearms innovator and another one or two men in that league to see if they could control various cartridges and stock shapes on full auto.  Lots of fun, but their conclusion was no.

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on March 05, 2011, 05:59:58 PM
Red Dots shine on .22 hand guns, no pun intended  :biggrin:

Niice!!

The one I shot was a short, kind of square window thing with a slope to the side cosest to the shooter.  Sort of like a mini TV screen with a dot in the middle that you put on whatever you want to hit.  I'll see if I can arrange another shooting session with him soon.

nastygunz

That thar sounds like what is commonly called the "reflex" sight...a little different then the tube type red dot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflex_sight