• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Life begins

Started by msmith, March 19, 2011, 10:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msmith

The other day we had a cow having a calf and it just happened to be during the day, on a Saturday. My Pumpkin Pie, aka Rosana, decided to go take pics. Being ten, she still hasn't perfected her photography skills, but she is working on it. Stillj, this is a bit unusual to get to see as it mostly happens at night, in bad weather, when you are away at work, or just out of sight, so I thought I would share.

Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Bills Custom Calls

Hey I am 46 and I am still working on my photography skills  :laf: :laf:

Thanks for sharing the pics tell Rosana nice pics
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

lacie23

Great pictures !  I got to see a calf being born on my Great-Granddad's farm about  6 years ago.

pitw

You know what I think of you for having your daughter out there learning :yoyo: :yoyo:.    I can't say as I'd trust them blacks the way you do though :wink:.  Thanks for sharing that with us.
I say what I think not think what I say.

msmith

Do you mean for calving ease or temperament, Barry? The ones I have are fairly docile. If I run into ones with attitude, they go down the road, especially bulls. As far as calving ease, this is the third of four first calf heifers this year, and I had one last year. Knock on wood, no problems so far.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

FinsnFur

They look better then a lot of mine :congrats:
Thanks for sharing them.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Quote from: msmith on March 19, 2011, 08:20:49 PM
Do you mean for calving ease or temperament, Barry? The ones I have are fairly docile. If I run into ones with attitude, they go down the road, especially bulls. As far as calving ease, this is the third of four first calf heifers this year, and I had one last year. Knock on wood, no problems so far.

Temperament Mike.  We found the blacks to be far superior mothers to any of the exotics and would protect their calf with a little too much zeal and would be the cause of a good bit of excitement :laf:.  Them fat lazy exotics would watch from their eating stance as anything happened.  For birthing the blacks were superior to cause once again the exotics were just to lazy. :doh2:
I say what I think not think what I say.

FOsteology

Too bad you didn't get more pictures of the birthing, and a better position without all the brush limbs in the way. Seen it a time or two myself, but always find it fascinating.

msmith

Yeah, me to Fos. The kids are normally shutter bugs, so I figured we would have a slew of them to choose from. Rosana was with the Wifey, so I'm sure they were just trying to get a good look without disturbing her much.

You're right Barry, the Aberdeens are usually quite protective. My wife and Rosana respect that and give them a wide berth. With Josh...well things can get interesting. I watched him get between a doe and her fawn one time. That was hilarious.  :laf: Our Golden Retriever won't go in the pasture unless he is on a leash because he was on the receiving end of the wrath of a cow.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI