• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Old log buildings

Started by Okanagan, April 11, 2011, 04:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

More pics from the Douglas Lake area, this time some old log buildings.  If anyone ever wants to run this gravel road, from Merritt, British Columbia you drive to Quilchena, leave the highway at the log church building halfway up Nicola Lake, and come out on Highway 97 about 60 miles later in a little place called Westwold. 

A newer building, made in the early 70's is the log church building at Quilchena.  An acquaintance of mine built it.  I marvel at the fitting he put into these logs.

There is a beautiful new log building at the Douglas Lake Reserve headquarters, and a log and stone mansion for the owner's residence at the Douglas Lake Ranch, made from square hewn huge logs and local basalt dark stone.  The old buildings interested me more, yesterday.

golfertrout

HaMeR

Nice pics once again!!  Those old buildings are rather well preserved.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

That is so cool. :yoyo:   Even if the fascia is bowed on the church  :wink:
Whatever you had your camera set on really kicked those up a notch. They are like portraits :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

The square hewn log building is pretty cool!

Okanagan

Quote from: FOsteology on April 11, 2011, 05:28:59 PM
The square hewn log building is pretty cool!

When I first saw that place, in 1976, people were living in the house.  About 1979 or 80 a friend who used to punch cows for Douglas Lake Ranch and I were hunting over that way and we stopped in to visit.  We didn't go inside but visited with an old man, some relative of his who lived there.  Now I wish we'd gone inside.

Here is another photo of the place.  It looks like the ends of the logs are squared with the rest of the length left round.
I wouldn't want the hassle but a if man could buy that place, he could number each log, dismantle it and put it back together wherever he could haul it.   The roof has kept it dry, in a dry country anyway, and I'll bet it is sound everywhere except the bottom row of logs.