• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Start of Spring Bear

Started by Tikaani, May 08, 2011, 11:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

Dian and I are off to the bear stand this morning (her Mother's Day gift  :eyebrownod:).  Tried to get in last week but still too much snow, just on the trails, for the Argo.  Going in to improve our stand and set up everything for the season.  Mid May is the earliest we have had any visitors, so we have to get in there.  Will post pictures of our days events later this evening.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Okanagan

Looking forward to the pics and report.

You're getting my interest up.  I'm supposed to go hang out with some bear hunters a week from now.  Am thinking of buying a tag this year.   In the Saskatoon airport yesterday, a surprising number of bear hunters were arriving with bow and rifle cases.  Kind of wish I'd stopped to talk with one or two but didn't.

FinsnFur

I'm lookin forward to this :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Scott

Tikaani

We just got back a bit ago, got all the equipment and tools put away.  Trip in was a bit hairy in spots, all in all a good trip.

A lot of wind drift snow that still has not melted up in the high ground.  Good crust going in, very slushy coming out.

Dian posting our sign about two miles from stand.

Dian finishing up with hanging mosquito net.

Bait in place, some wet cob, dog food, pancake syrup, stale bread, old doughnuts all somthered in bacon grease.  Boards keep out squirrels until bears show up.

Setting trail cam.

All done, a quick pic and heading home.

Trail heading out, ice had melted and it was pretty soupy.

Nothing to do but wait and check on it now.

Hunt hard, Die tired.
John

Dave

Looks like hard work and a boat load of fun!  I wish you both luck and will keep watching this post.  Great pics, BTW.

Okanagan

Yep, looks good.  I assume the trail will dry up some as the season progresses.  That's a nifty rig you're running.

Really enjoyed the pics.

shaddragger

:bowingsmilie: A picture of a pretty girl in a treestand tells me you live a charmed life, John! Can't wait to see the after pics!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

iahntr

Looks good John.
So is that the same place down below
where we were callin some?
Scott

Tikaani

Yea Scott it is, drop down into the valley and head up the creek about two miles.

iahntr

Cool. I thought it might be.
Scott

HuntnCarve

Can't wait to see the pictures when the bruins start hitting the bait.  Better yet, some pictures of a bear with your tag attached!

John, I see you got a sidearm.  Just curious? What's your preferred weapon in that regards?  And does Dian also carry one when she's out there with you?

Dave

FOsteology

No bear hunting for me this year (nor next year I'm afraid), so I'll be getting my bruin fix vicariously. Be sure to keep the pictures coming!  :biggrin:

I like the tree stand. Looks more comfortable and inviting than what I was use to in Saskatchewan!

Are you primarily hunting black bear? Grizzly in your area? If so, are you allowed to drop and tag one?

If you have grizzlies, how does their behavior compare to black bear at the bait site? From my limited experience, I know black bear are curious, but relatively benign. I hear grizzly are more assertive and aggressive and can make folks sitting over a bait  experience some "pucker factor".  :biggrin:

KySongDog

I remember your tree stand, John.  And the remains of that old trappers cabin.   Good luck on your hunt this year!   

FinsnFur

Quote from: Tikaani on May 08, 2011, 08:18:14 PM
some wet cob, dog food, pancake syrup, stale bread, old doughnuts all somthered in bacon grease. 

Thats not too far from a typical breakfast for me John. (I say that as I slap my protruding belly)

Something tells me that seeing that trail thawed out like that brought a small but yet undeniable sense of excitement to you. You know I mean owning an Argo like yours and all...  :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Todd Rahm

Man, I would love to have an Argo like that.  :sneer: Good luck with the hunting too!!!!!!!!!