• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Finally

Started by DirtyDog, February 20, 2007, 11:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDog

Well,

I fianlly sighted in that 22-250 (well sort of). I did not use a bench, I sat in a chair, and used my shooting stick for a rest. I was using my H&R Varmiter and Hornady 40gr VMAX bullets. Here are the results.

Hawks Feather

Nothing wrong with that group and it was good practice using the sticks.

Jerry

DirtyDog

Thanks! I actually only shot 6 shells. The first was off to the left and low at 50 yards. The second was the one that was a little high and right also at 50 yards. The third and forth were also at 50 yards and were the ones that were to the left and high, also at 50yards.  The last 2 are the high ones, both at 100 yards. So I moved the scope down one inch. That should be perfect.

FinsnFur

Looks good from here. I was gonna ask at what yardage...but looks like you clarified that. Who spilled their coffee on the target?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

DirtyDog

I think it was from some of the oils I had in my box o' stuff.  :confused:

studabaka

I maybe in a minority, but I'm a proponent of sighting in based on field conditions. I zero in a grouping using sticks, but then may tweak based on where I'm hitting free hand. What I found is that I tend to shoot about an inch to the left [I shoot lefty] at 150 yards when shooting free hand. I think this is cause of how I pull the trigger, but I'm not really sure. What I am pretty sure of is that if I then fired off a bench my groupings would not be on center, but I don't usually take a bench with me when I call.

They say that practice under various conditions will help you better anticipate and account for stuff like wind, so I do do a fair amount of target practice under different wind conditions and directions to get a sense of what is happening to that there bullet. Out to about 100 yards I don't notice much impact from wind, but beyond that it does seem to make a material difference. At 200 yards a gusting cross wind can take ya out of the kill zone.

Very unscientific for sure. I'm sure there are guys here that can provide more fact based inputs to consider.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

nailbender

Practice makes perfect!        Well, sometimes! But I agree with what Studebaka said about practicing the way you shoot in the field.  Out there, it's not what the rifle/load can do.  It's what you do with it!

Bopeye

Nice shooting and excellent comments.. :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

DirtyDog

I ready for you to call some in for me with that nice Kee's howler Bopeye!  :eyebrow:

THO Game Calls

QuoteWho spilled their coffee on the target?

Hope to heck it wasn't the guy holding it when that first shot was low and to the left  :roflmao:

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Member - Custom Call Makers & Collectors Guild & Call Makers & Collectors Association of America
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

DirtyDog

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

Now that was funny right there!

Bopeye

Quote from: NewDog on February 22, 2007, 07:26:00 AM
I ready for you to call some in for me with that nice Kee's howler Bopeye!  :eyebrow:

I couldn't guarantee ya anything,  :huh: but we could try.......... :eyebrow:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

DirtyDog

Let me know what weekend you are ready............My gun is thirsty.  :eyebrow:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com