• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Lionfish hunting

Started by Frogman, July 05, 2011, 07:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

OK guys here is a new type of predator hunting all you guys need to try! 

The predator -

The following lion fish was photographed just before being speared . . .

By the way the long fins on these fish are very venomous and create excruciating pain if they get you.  However the lionfish is not aggressive toward humans.  As long as you leave them alone they will not harm you.  The lion fish does not belong in the Carribbean and Atlantic.  They are endemic to the Pacific.  Thus there are no known lion fish predators in the Caribbean.  The lion fish are predators that prey on small juvenile minnow and baby fish.  They have voracious appetites and biologists fear that they will have a negative impact on endemic Caribbean species.  They also reproduce rapidly.  Last year we saw very few lion fish while diving in Bonaire.  This year we saw them on most dives.

Below you will see the weapon used to put fur, ahh fins, on the ground.  The hunter, ahh diver, has a spring loaded spear about 15 inches long that he pulls back through the handle against the spring pressure.  When released the spear shoots forward impaling the lionfish, hopefully if everything goes right.

Ahh, success, fur, ahh fins, down . . .

The diver then uses underwater penny cutting scissors to dispatch the lion fish and cut him up for the other fishes to eat.

Hopefully this will control the lionfish population.  I am currently working on a FoxPro sound that will attract the lion fish.  Do any of you know what a distressed minnow sounds like??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterois  here is a Wikipedia article about the lion fish.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Todd Rahm

So its a form of under water ADC work huh? Now that would be a cool gig. I retire in 3 years, do they have any openings?  :biggrin:

bambam

I've seen a few spearfishing shows on TV. Looks like fun.

Dave

Did you get in on culling the pride?

Frogman

No.  I didn't get to shoot any lionfish!  Only the dive guides have completed the training required to take them safely!

Jim

Dave

Too bad - looks like they have a built in bullseye, that white laser dot right in the kill zone.
Guess they can't take the risk of letting their clients get spined by one of those.

FinsnFur

Put fur...ah fins on the ground, he says.  :alscalls:

So tell us, is the reason you were spearing them because they arent suppose to be there or do you eat them or....is it because they are useless and destructive like a coyote?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

Jim,

"they arent suppose to be there or do you eat them or....is it because they are useless and destructive like a coyote?"

The answer to your question is   all of the above.  When they get bigger they are good to eat.  I think the main reason though is to control the population.  If they eat enough juveniles of endemic species they could upset the whole ecology of the area.  They are a nuisance just like coyotes!!  I got a scuba magazine the other day that advetised lion fish roundups with prizes for biggest, smallest, and most lion fish killed!  Sounds just like a coyote contest, huh?!

Jim

FinsnFur

Yeah, but a fun one. Coyote contests suck and not just cause I lose :wink:

Thats pretty interesting though.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

lacie23

Neat pictures !!  I'd like to try that someday !!!!!