• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

44 Special

Started by riverboss, August 12, 2011, 04:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverboss

Ok so im thinking of a revolver to carry something as a side arm while im hunting and im looking at the Charter arms 44 special and i dont know anything about that caliber its got a 2.5 in barrel and i know it wont be accurate enough to hunt with but would be a just incase side arm. What are your thoughts on this caliber? Most are 38 special and i would like something alittle bigger ive owned a few 357s but wanted to know about the 44 special before i make my decision.  Thanks Dan.

KySongDog

It served the "Son of Sam" pretty well.   They even made a song about that caliber......"Stagger Lee". 

Seriously, the 44 special is a nice round.  But why not get a 44 mag?  You can shoot 44 specials or magnums.   :shrug:

Hawks Feather

Unless there is a big difference in price, I would do what Semp said and get the .44 mag and then shoot .44 special in it.  Sort of like shooting .38 specials in your .357.  You can always shoot the special in the mag, but you can't shoot the mag in the special. 

Jerry

slagmaker

I have to agree with the previous posts from semp and Jerry. The more versatile you are the better. But thats just my $0.02 worth.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

riverboss

Thank fellas i didnt know you could interchange the 2 like the 38-357 but what i was looking at was the weight issue the special is realy light weight and to be honest i dont know much about handgun calibers. Ive owned a few 357 and realy liked them but i would think a 44 mag would be very heavy and my wife tells me im loosing my butt and i cant keep my britches up now LOL.

CCP

If you go with the 44 mag let me know. I got some brass, bullets and die set. (Some Special brass too)You pay shipping and 25 bucks into the FnF bank and there yours.

I agree with the above posters but for the intended purpose you want, a 44 special only frame will be a little lighter and still plenty of close range punch.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Hawks Feather

I just looked and Charter Arms doesn't make a .44 mag - only the special.  So if you are going with Charter Arms, I think you need to get the .44 special.   :wink:

If you reload, CCP's offer is extremely good.  You can also use the .44 mag dies for your .44 special. 

Jerry

riverboss

CCP if i do get the 44 special i will take you up on that offer thanks alot that is very generious i will let you know when i decide. :yoyo: