• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

New bowhunter

Started by Dave, September 29, 2011, 01:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Well I finally set Dante (11 yr old son) up with a compound bow.  He's been practicing quite a bit and is good enough to 20 yards to take him out.  It's doe only right now, and mentored youth (under 12) are now permitted to shoot an antlerless deer under the mentor's tag.  We set up under 2 big oaks that are raining down big acorns, and the deer have been hitting.   Had one smaller doe come into about 25 yards, but was just shy of a puddle that we determined a deer would need to be at before he could shoot.  We watched her for about 15 minutes and finally enough of a breeze pushed our scent in her direction that blew her away.  Another 1 to 1 1/2 hours passed, then right at last light a doe and fawn showed up.  Things happened fast and the doe was walking by about 15 yds out, broadside.  Dante was at full draw, I "bahhhed," she stopped, he shot, she ran, Dante tasted humble pie.  Just over her.  We got the arrow and made sure no hair/fat was on the blades or shaft.  None were.
It was a great hunt!

FOsteology

I bet Dante sticks one long before the season ends!

JohnP

Yep, what Fos said.  Don't forget the camera!
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HuntnCarve

Tell him to use the crossbow with the compound as a back up? :innocentwhistle:  It's about time his father do alittle butchering. :laf:

FinsnFur

I know he enjoyed it. And it's far from over now that he's had a go at it. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com