• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Windy, Rainy day tactics?

Started by JDP, February 18, 2012, 09:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDP

Anyone have any special tactics for windy and rainy days? I'm going in the morning on the Fort. Supposed to be 15 MPH winds with gust up to 30. Rain then snow...

Thx,
JDP

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

JDP

LOL I hear that! But it's my only day off this weekend and the wife is out of town, so I have to take advantage of it.

Yotehntr

LOL sorry I couldn't resist!  I've never had much success even in just hard wind.  Good luck though!

FinsnFur

Sleep in would be a gimme for me too. :laf:

JDP, check out the thread pinned at the top of this forum titled, "Presorted Popular Topics".
There's one in there with weather fronts that gives some advice. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JDP

Thanks, I should have looked before I posted!  :doh2:

FinsnFur

No no...I didnt mean that. I just happen to recall it being there myself.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Light rain = excellent hunting.
Hard rain = can be good for deer, not so good for calling predators.
Snow = even better.
Wind = sleep in.

If it is windy on the only day you have to hunt, go down in protected hollows and timbered canyons if there are any.

JDP

Thanks everyone! I'm going to giver a whirl and see what happens! No hollars or canyons where I'll be in the morning. It's a fresh new area that hasn't ever been called before. It's right against the large impact area on Ft Campbell and it's rarely open for hunting, plus we only have another week to hunt coyotes! Wish me luck!!

Yotehntr

It never hurts to try! ... I went with Titansfan today (err yesterday) we hit some of the best looking country for coyote's I've ever seen... had a 3mph wind...  made stands that made you think... I take that back,  know you were about to be run over with several.  Didn't get a response   :doh2: ...   So far in all my experience the only thing I know for sure about coyote hunting is, they never do what you know they'll do.  Hunt and your odds are better!   :wink:

CCP

I always advise never hunt your areas when the wind is stacked against you and educate your coyotes.

BUT

Quoteplus we only have another week to hunt coyotes!

Since you only have a week till next year (and public land) go after them it doesn't matter if you educate them and in the process you may kill a few. I am only at the LBL once a year so I do things/take chances I would never do here on property I hunt.

Hope you get some and post up some pictures.... :yoyo:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

WldWldWest

Quote from: Yotehntr on February 18, 2012, 09:44:06 PM
Sure do!.... I sleep in!  :laf:

Brad, That cant be right??? Thats the same reason you use on sunny days :confused: :confused: :confused: :alscalls:
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

code

Had a yote come into a call on a really windy and rainy day. So it just depends on if you want to get wet.
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

JDP

Well it was a great day to hunt! The wind and rain didn't really show up and neither did the coyotes!! We had a group howl at us about 200-300 yrds back into the off limits area. But they never showed any interest in anything. We circled around down from where we heard them and could see the tracks in the mud, looked like they were moving toward where we set up just never saw them. That's coyote hunting though! Good day today!!

FinsnFur

Quote from: JDP on February 19, 2012, 09:31:47 PM
...looked like they were moving toward where we set up just never saw them.

I still think thats the case 90% of the time for all of us. These things are the masters of elusiveness.
At least you got out :wink:  I spent my day driving and then pounding on the keyboard.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Yotehntr

Quote from: WldWldWest on February 19, 2012, 10:17:36 AM
Quote from: Yotehntr on February 18, 2012, 09:44:06 PM
Sure do!.... I sleep in!  :laf:

Brad, That cant be right??? Thats the same reason you use on sunny days :confused: :confused: :confused: :alscalls:

:shrug: What's your point Doug!  :alscalls:  Jim I appreciate it too! ya done good to bud!