• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Grandson found a lion track by his house

Started by Okanagan, January 15, 2011, 01:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaMeR

QuoteSix years ago in that area a big cat followed me in the dark on a pre-dawn hike to a deer ridge, and wailed a weird cry or call at me many times over half an hour.  I phoned the best cougar expert I've heard of and asked him about it.  When I described the behavior he said that it was a cat, no doubt, and that he would say lynx more than cougar from the sound I duplicated, except that there aren't supposed to be any lynx within 150 miles.   

That got the shivers running up my spine!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Okanagan

Quote from: HaMeR on January 21, 2011, 10:18:02 AM
QuoteSix years ago in that area a big cat followed me in the dark on a pre-dawn hike to a deer ridge, and wailed a weird cry or call at me many times over half an hour.  I phoned the best cougar expert I've heard of and asked him about it.  When I described the behavior he said that it was a cat, no doubt, and that he would say lynx more than cougar from the sound I duplicated, except that there aren't supposed to be any lynx within 150 miles.   

That got the shivers running up my spine!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

It was a once in a lifetime experience for me, so far!   :laf:  The cat worked into it slowly so it wasn't a sudden adrenaline rush.  It started a weird cry up ahead of me as I hiked a forest service trail on a super dark night.  I thought it was some kind of night bird and paid no attention, but it kept pace with me, then circled ahead and got on the uphill side.  By then I knew it was a large animal on the ground and cougar was the only animal I could think of that fit the behavior.  I had a puny headlamp that has three options:  a single white LED, a double red LED and a micro halogen spotlight that will show ground a max of 40 feet.  The red LED barely lights enough to walk, but it saves night vision.

So I turned off all lights and called with a doe in heat call.  Whatever it was came closer and closer, calling about every 15 seconds, always one cry at a time.  I thought it was a lion and did not want it any closer than 25 feet from me, and that is probably too close.  A .30-06 rifle was in hand.  When I thought it was about 30 feet away I turned on the puny spotlight.  Instantly the animal went silent and moved away too far to see and started the cry again.

I walked a little ways and went uphill into timber 30 yards and called again. Turned off all lights and it came in again.  When it was close enough for me to hear the intake of its breath before each cry, I switched on the light.  As before, I never saw a thing.  I heard it run.  It did not like the white light.  It did not seem to mind the red light and would come closer but I could only see 8 feet with that.

I hiked on up the trail and it went on up the valley wailing once in awhile.  It did not seem super loud but wow did that sound ever carry.  When I was up to timberline I could hear it easily at what sounded like half to 3/4 mile down the valley, maybe a mile.

Rainshadow, the cougar caller, thinks it was a young adult cougar kicked out by its mother and looking for companionship.  A deer hunter killed a female cougar a couple of miles away the next day as it walked along near him, maybe following.

Kinda wish I'd have risked a little more and let it get closer but that's pretty hard in the dark to listen to it coming closer and try to judge when is the prudent time to turn on the light. 

(edited for spelling and clarity)

Okanagan

Quote from: possumal on January 21, 2011, 09:47:08 AM
Okanagan, no reason to be embarassed at all, IMO.  Trying to share with us your relationship with your grandson is as good as it gets on a forum.  My grandsons think I'm a pretty cool "Peepaw" and I sure am glad they do.  I know you are cooler than cool in that department.  I know you'll be proud of old Cody as he learns and shares with you.   :highclap: :highclap:

Al, thanks.  At our age, its a good thing somebody thinks we are cool! :alscalls:

KySongDog

Quote from: Okanagan on January 22, 2011, 12:35:43 AM
Kinda wish I'd have risked a little more and let it get closer but that's pretty hard in the dark to listen to it coming closer and try to judge when is the prudent time to turn on the light.

That's not just "pretty hard", that's impossible!    :nono:  Kudos' to you.  I would never have lasted that long or let it get that close.   I have no experience with mountain lions but up close and personal is not an experience I want any time soon.   :eyebrownod:

HaMeR

:shock2:  Can you say "Dead run back to the truck!!!!"  :laf: :laf:  While that would be one lifetime cool event I doubt I would have the nerve that you showed to let whatever it was get that close in the dark.  :nono:

I still remember the 1st time I ever heard the coyotes light up!! That happened so suddenly I wasn't sure if I should be scared or what. I had serious shivers up & down my spine. It definitely was a cool experience.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Thanks for posting that story. It is a great read.  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Dave

Quote from: HaMeR on January 22, 2011, 07:13:34 AM

Just read this thread, and agree, it is a great story and experience.  Funny how all the senses get hightened in the dark.  You could hear it breathing! 
Sounds like a fun time you're having w/Cody. 

Okanagan

Quote from: HaMeR on January 22, 2011, 07:13:34 AM
I still remember the 1st time I ever heard the coyotes light up!! That happened so suddenly I wasn't sure if I should be scared or what. I had serious shivers up & down my spine. It definitely was a cool experience.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Yep, I remember the first time I heard coyotes shred the night like that and it scared me bad.  I was coon hunting with my dad and he thought it was funny.  I remember asking if it was 15 coyotes and he said it was two.  :laf:

As to courage, sometimes stupidity or naive curiosity looks like courage.  :innocentwhistle: I was mostly curious, and it was not legal to shoot the cat that way at night, unless it attacked.  The way it kept vocalizing it didn't seem threatening and at the time I thought it must be a female crazy in heat.  If it wanted to kill a man, seems like it would keep quiet.

And yes, if we both live and get half a chance, Cody and I will build some good memories together. 

HaMeR

:laf: :laf:

Yeah I think if it was hungry you might not have been able to tell that story. But no matter what you call it I still doubt I would of had the nerve to let it get that close.  :nono: :nono:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

vvarmitr

Wow! What a rush!  :biggrin:
That just had to be something else to experience!  :biggrin:

It's funny how bold we are when we have a firearm at hand. :laf:

Jimmie in Ky

You know, Okinagin, that old saying that curiosity killed the cat works both ways don't ya  :nono:

I liked that story a lot. Don't know that I would have handled it that well myself. My curiosity sometimes gets the better of me too. But I check it out later  :eyebrownod: Jimmie

Okanagan

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on January 22, 2011, 07:32:10 PM
You know, Okinagin, that old saying that curiosity killed the cat works both ways don't ya  :nono:
Jimmie

Ooohh!  That is witty!  Good observation.

Oak Noggin  :laf:

code

"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

Okanagan

Quote from: code on December 24, 2011, 03:10:28 PM
I think it was a big old coon. :shrug:

Ouch!  Could be, and that is the most common animal in the area.