• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Christmas hunt gift from wife

Started by Okanagan, December 28, 2011, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Wow, I was just gonna say...I think I'd pack it up and look for a ground hog :doh2: Especially after comparing the legalities of a legal full curl and a legal 3/4 curl. :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 04, 2012, 09:08:25 PM
Wow, I was just gonna say...I think I'd pack it up and look for a ground hog :doh2: Especially after comparing the legalities of a legal full curl and a legal 3/4 curl. :huh:

Ground hog hunting is less tedious!

The next order of business for sheep is to figure out how to be sure you are getting a 90 degree side view of a ram, with no distortion due to angle.  There are ways to check that.

If the ram is within an inch or two of legal one way or the other, every change of viewing angle makes him look over or under legal size.  If you are above the ram, they look shorter so a close legal one looks too short.   If you are below, short ones look legal.  Be extra careful when judging a ram from below, because one that is way too short to be legal may show a horn tip extending well above the bridge of his nose due to viewing angle.  And then once in awhile you see a humongous ram that is obviously way bigger than merely legal.

It is amazing how long you can look at a ram with or without a glass and not get a true 90 degree level side view.  It usually isn't just hunt, find one and shoot him, but often involves a LOT of scrutinizing from fairly close and sometimes some soul searching!   :confused: :shrug: :wo:

FOsteology

That's great you and your wife had an opportunity to enjoy this experience. Appreciate the pictures. Quite scenic!

HaMeR

Definitely a learning experience. the few shows I've seen always said the tip needs to come up to the eye for a full curl. And I can see why those guides make the money they do. That's a lot of pressure to keep every hunter legal.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11