• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Remind me to stay at home next February and the first few weeks of March

Started by Bob D, March 11, 2007, 06:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob D

Hunting this past February and the first few weeks of march here in Alabama has been very unproductive for me and my hunting pards. We are using the same tactics that have produced well in the past but not the past 6 weeks. We have tried howling with howlers and with the ecallers and all types distress .We have two different ecallers and neither are working. I see dead coyotes along the highways around here so I know they haven't left town. Anyway its been a long time since we called one in. I guess they aren't too interested in our calling right now. I know it is pairing up time and I can understand the drive to find a mate but what about the pairs that mate for life? They have to eat to don't they? Any thoughts on this ?

Anyway, we called up 1 coyote, 1 fox and 1 cat in this time period . Not good for us.

Bob

DirtyDog

Don't let it get ya down Bob. Things will get better. Keep your chin up.............   :wink:

ND

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

securpro

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 11, 2007, 07:59:38 PM
Puppy whines and distress

Are we talkin coyote or domestic dog pup whines ?   :wo:  I havent been able to call in anything lately either !  :shrug:

securpro
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

Bob D

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 11, 2007, 07:59:38 PM
Puppy whines and distress
Believe me when I say we have tried a little of all the different calls. Nothing appears to be working for us. I'm talking about areas that have consistently produced just not during this time period. It isn't just me either, none of the predator hunters around here that i know are producing. I don't think it is the call or the areas called, I think it is something to do with the pairing up of the males and females. The coyote rut if you will. You would think that howling would interest them but our howling is not working . I don't really know what it is?

THO Game Calls

Might be time to get right up in their faces.  Sneak in as close as you can and howl LOUD.   It might take really getting their attention right now and making them feel thretened. 

For me, Feb and March always stink around here too.  The only success I have had is sitting in a tree stand and watching where they cross fields in the very early morning, or sitting on deer yards.  It isn't calling, but it's all I have found that produces enough to keep doing it.  One thing about the deer yards, a doe bleat seems to at least get their attention now and then.  Enough to make them stop so you can take a shot.

The weather is a bit different up here and I am sure that plays into how you might go about it, but I would still sit on places where you know they travel and just snipe them if you can.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Brad H

QuoteAre we talkin coyote or domestic dog pup whines ?

The answer to that, is YES. Reduced down to yelps, screams and whines, they're one in the same. Especially by the time they come out the end of a call.

Any kind of a "canine in need of assistance" sound is one of my favorites year round. And the more urgent, the better.

Bob, I know where you're coming from. We have weeks or even months it seems that all coyotes go deaf around here. Even worse this time of year and when we hit a warm spell like we're having now. The only good thing about times like that is it will only get better.

Brad