• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Old Warrior laid to rest.

Started by nastygunz, December 01, 2012, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

I hate to see it when they lay these Ships of War to rest, my brother was on a guided missile cruiser that used to guard her and refuel from her and I was stationed right beside her on Carrier Row in Norfolk and one one of my boyhood friends was stationed on her.

NORFOLK, Va. â€" The world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier has been retired from active service in the U.S. Navy.
The USS Enterprise ended its notable 51-year career on Saturday during a ceremony at Naval Station Norfolk in Virginia.
Thousands of former crew members, ship builders and their families lined a pier to bid farewell to one of the most decorated ships in the Navy.
The ship served in every major conflict since participating in a blockade during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
With the inactivation, the U.S. fleet is temporarily reduced to 10 aircraft carriers while the USS Gerald R. Ford is built. It will join the fleet in 2015.
Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said in a recorded video message during the ceremony that a future aircraft carrier would be named USS Enterprise.

Hidehunter

Got a link with a pic?  Id like to see a pic of the old girl
Denver                                           

FinsnFur

Seen that on the news this morning. They said she took to the seas 25 times. That seems like not much.
May she rest in peace.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com