• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Discovery Channel / Africa

Started by FinsnFur, January 08, 2013, 10:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Anyone watch the premiere of Discovery Channels Africa series tonight?

I gotta say that I dont remember ever seeing anything so fascinating in my entire life. I know that sounds a little downtown dallas but seriously this episode alone was nothing short of incredible. They make learning about this stuff insanely interesting.

One of my favorite parts was being introduced to the Drongo bird. He knows how to set up near a den of Mircats as they forage for food.
Mircats use a sentry to watch for trouble and warn them when danger presents itself.
The Drongo bird  knows how to mimic that sound, and uses it once the Mircats find food. Which sends them all scurrying back into the safety of their hole....leaving him to the food they have dug up.  :alscalls: Incredible.
It was out of this world to watch.
I cant wait to see the others
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Ladobe

Jim,

Yep I'm in, and while I already know a hell of lot about Meerkats from the original series on them and further reading, same with Africa itself and it's people, it was typically time very well spent.   I too highly recommend it.   

There is not a lot of shows on the Discovery, History, etc channels that I do not watch, not even those I already have a solid knowledge of the topic(s) covered.   And it matters not what the topic is, I am open to all of them, and pursue those of special interest further.  IOW, they are my reality shows, not the trash on TV they call by that name.    I don't watch much TV, but when I do I want it all to be quality time, which leaves out 99% of whats on TV.   Shows like these most often lead to endless hours finding out more, everything I can find.    In fact I'm waiting for some more books to get here I ordered for one of those quests to get up to speed on all there to know about it.   We really do live in a wondrous world if we put aside the drama our daily lives, the drama of the world mostly caused by people long enough to explore it.   In person if possible, by book, lectures, museums, etc and even the boob tube if not, and before its all gone.   With nothing but time to kill now days, the hundreds of books in my library reread so many times, it's how I spend a lot of my time now days.    I already had insomnia from the medical issues, can seldom sleep... but when books/DVD's arrive on a new quest it's pretty much a nonstop marathon night and day round the clock, and sometimes for days at a time.   And I can hardly wait for the next quest to come along - I actually feel a sense of urgency sometimes when I don't have another waiting.   They are what keep me going, probably why I am still here... I don't have time to worry about my personal issues.    I simply want to learn and understand all I can before I run out of time.   

Besides, I hate housework, the worst "given" around here.   It takes me a week to really clean even this small bungalow right, and by then its time to start over.    I have enough clothes to put off laundry a couple of months, dishes at least 2-3 weeks.  LOL    But why bother, nobody sees it but me?   I'd much rather be exploring in whatever small corner of the world I am researching at the time, discovering and living the experiences I will never get to do in person.   

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus