• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

N. Saskatchewan pike & walleye

Started by Okanagan, June 21, 2012, 10:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

I've been gone from e-mail access for most of the last three weeks.  Got a little fishing in but not many pics.  Here are a couple of walleye a friend caught and a 40 inch pike another friend caught. 

Hawks Feather

Walleye look like good eating, but I think I will pass on eating the pike.  That being said, catching the pike would be lots of fun.

Glad to have you back.

Jerry

Okanagan

Thank you!  Good to be back. 

I like walleye better but one of the men who tried them for the first time liked pike better.   :shrug:

We released a lot of fish but kept enough for a few good pig out fish fries.  I learned how to fillet pike and not leave a single bone in the meat.

FinsnFur

Welcome home. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself, and put some fish in the boat too :eyebrow:
You should make us a lil video clip of cleaning your pike to make boneless fillets. I still struggle with it but I dont catch many big enough to fillet.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Scott

Hidehunter

:yoyo: Awesome.  i would love to catch a pike!!!
Denver                                           

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 22, 2012, 05:39:22 AM
Welcome home. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself, and put some fish in the boat too :eyebrow:
You should make us a lil video clip of cleaning your pike to make boneless fillets. I still struggle with it but I dont catch many big enough to fillet.

Link below to pretty good video on boneless filleting of pike.  Without the talking and showing, after two or three it gets pretty fast.  A Cree friend who showed me does a whole pike in a little over a minute.   Everybody seems to want to use the point of the knife at first, but it is much quicker, smoother and efficient to mostly use the belly of a fillet knife.  I found that a longer blade than I would expect to use worked better than my usual fillet knife.

FinsnFur

Wow, what are the odds. I booked marked that video a couple weeks ago when I was digging around on YouTube  :wink:
I like to see everyones variance, you learn a little from each person that does it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

code

"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

Todd Rahm

Thats a dandy waterwolf ya have there.  :congrats: