• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Maitakes!

Started by Dave, August 13, 2013, 09:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Dante was out scouring the woods and came across a vein of Maitake mushrooms (also called "Hen of the Woods").  This one sat in the sink overnight and seemed a little tough (I'm kind of new to mushrooming - we had tried it last year, but only found old, tough ones).  He said there were a bunch of others growing around this one, but he only took one.

I sent him back down this evening for another one to sauté fresh.

How's this look!

It was really good.  A little olive oil and garlic in the cast iron for a few minutes, then added the mushrooms.  Sprinkled a little salt and then some brown sugar and soy sauce.  I liked it that way and took half out of the pan.  The other half I finished off with a little red wine and thought that was also outstanding. 
He'll be harvesting some more tomorrow!

Hawks Feather

It does look good and is making me hungry.

Jerry

Dave

I had him take me down last night to show me them.  Here's are a few of the half dozen or so.

The foot is in there for size.

FinsnFur

I'm with Jerry, that looks deelish in the pan...but I dont think I'd be able to successfully find and pick them. Wrong types of mushrooms spooks the crap out of me.
I know Morels and will hunt and pick those...but thats the extent of it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Quote from: FinsnFur on August 13, 2013, 10:10:25 PM
I'm with Jerry, that looks deelish in the pan...but I dont think I'd be able to successfully find and pick them. Wrong types of mushrooms spooks the crap out of me.
I know Morels and will hunt and pick those...but thats the extent of it.
I thought the same thing, Jim.  My brother took me out looking last year (and I watched a few videos on it), and they are easy to find once you know what you're looking for. 
These guys mostly grow around dead oak trees, and the vein will continue away from the tree.

FinsnFur

Had to make a run to Illinois Wednesday after work and these mushrooms came into the conversation with a guy down there. He says "ahhh yeah we get big Hen of the woods mushrooms around the Oaks in the yard there".  I wished there would been one too look at now.
He said they rip up just like cooked chicken?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.