• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

New hunting partner...maybe???

Started by centerfire_223, October 28, 2013, 11:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerfire_223

My baby girl (9 yrs.) wanted to go deer hunting yesterday in the afternoon. I had set us up a ladder stand built for two on Friday. So we head out at around 4 o'clock, get in the stand and about 30 seconds later she says "give me my snack". Which happened to be popcorn, that you could smell a mile away. But that was OK. So after popcorn and water, she started getting fidgety. So I gave her my phone to play on. That lasted about 30 minutes and she was tired of that. So back to the popcorn again. Well now we are working on 40 minutes. Tired of popcorn again, now wanting a twizzler out of the fanny pack. Now I don't know how many know about twizzerler's but they make wrap them in this plastic wrap that could be heard 5 miles away. But once again that is OK. Twizzler is now gone and we are at the 50 minute mark. With nothing left to eat but popcorn and she is tired of popcorn, the super fidgeting starts. At the 60 minutes mark I asked her if she is ready to go and I get the head nod.

I guess we will take it one step at the time, or maybe I should say one hour at a time. All in all I had a AWESOME time hunting with my little girl.

Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

weedwalker

Sounds like a great time Ronnie. :yoyo: When you take a kid hunting you need to hunt on their time schedule. They will get to like it more and stay longer in the future. If you force a long day on them to start with, you can turn them away from hunting real fast.

Dave

Extra time can be bought with the following:
   Binocs - 5 minutes.
   Rangefinder - 7 minutes provided rangefinder guessing game is instituted, otherwise 2 min.
   Windchecker - 3 min

Sounds like you are doing it right, a lot of fun!

HuntnCarve

Way to go Ronnie!  Glad to see your daughter is taking an interest.  Ed gave you some excellent advice in regards to hunting with youngsters.  I used to load my pockets with all kinds of snacks (and of course some drinks) to help pass the time.  About the time my son would start fidgeting, I'd pull out a candy bar and slowly unwrap it.  He'd be watching me like a hawk.  Then I'd say, "Oh, did you forget to bring something to eat?"  LOL!  Of course it was for him.  We joke about that to this day. 
Enjoy your days afield with your daughter.  They are fleeting, and meant to be enjoyed.  The memories are priceless, and will be carried in your heart long after they have grown up. :wink:

Dave

centerfire_223

I failed to mention we used the binoculars, that bought me another 3 minutes. Didn't think about the range finder, will have to keep that in mind for the future. She's a bookworm but she forgot her book. If she had that with her, I would have been good to go.

I know what you mean about keeping the kids out longer than they won't. I can remember when dad use to take me fishing, it was daylight till dark. He wouldn't bring me in till he was ready, I won't do that. I remember when I was teaching my son to bowfish, I would carry him a blanket and he would go back into the boat curl up and go asleep.

I'm ready for the next time, I will use the advice yall gave me and see how long she can make it then.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Okanagan

Wonderful account of an even better reality.  GOOD FOR YOU!  She's a winner.

My younger son is the hunter in the family, way better than any of the rest of us.  I first took him calling for a coyote when he was 4, and 2-3 minutes into our first stand a coyote stopped facing us at 30 feet and I shot it. From then on he was my best hunting partner, way more silent and patient than adults, always expecting something. When you get something it will turn her crank even more.  Good for you to stop before it got miserable for her. 

Keep it fun for her.  I was too hard on our older son, taking him on tough backpack hunts with my focus on getting a big critter more than a focus on having the child have fun.  I learned and the younger son benefitted.  Make it fun for her and you have a hunting partner for life.

Buy twizzlers in the bulk candy section or repackage them in quiet wraps.  I repackage noisy snacks for myself. 

I think it was someone on this forum who said, "You can take a kid fishing or you can fish yourself, but you can't do both."  There is some parallel for taking a kid hunting, but there is always the luck factor and even though the odds are lower, you may well get something.  And having a child along is more than worth the lower success odds!

JohnP

Good for you, but like Ed said, hunt on their time schedule.  If he likes to read a, a book is great.  I took my grand daughter calling when she was about the same age.  We soon had a bobcat coming in, which I didn't see, she jumped up and hollered "there it is poppa!" 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

possumal

Ronnie, she is a real beauty, and you are surely lucky to have her for a hunting buddy.  Her interest will tell you how long to stay and all that stuff.  I predict she will be a steady companion.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

coyote101

Good for you Ronnie.  :congrats: Making memories both of you will cherish.  :biggrin:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HaMeR

Great story & Thank You for sharing it!! Glad to see she's getting interested now in hunting BEFORE she gets interested in boys!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Frogman

That's really cool!  Good to see you taking a kid hunting!!  You done good!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Hawks Feather

That has to be an hour that you will remember for the rest of your life.  She will probably remember it too.  Since sometimes you actuarially do 'hunt' this might be a new way for you to relax in the tree stand.   :biggrin:

Jerry

FOsteology

You must be doing something right as she lasted 60 minutes longer than my daughter at her age!

Great that she wanted to get out there and spend time with Dad in the deer fields.

FinsnFur

"fidgeting and super fidgeting" LOL :alscalls:
And you wouldnt trade it for nothing in the world  :nono:
Thanks for sharing that Ronnie :highclap:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Very nice!  Hunting with a child is not about hunting.  It is about you and the child.

You have a beautiful daughter, Ronnie.   :congrats:

shaddragger

:congrats: Congratulations Ronnie! That's 60 priceless minutes with the Princess, and even if she never goes again you got that much. Judging by the smile on her face she had a good time too.

BTW, blinds offer more fidget room, lollipops and hard candy last longer, and Goldfish crackers have almost no sound when carried in a sandwich bag. A cheap, simple camera kept my Sweetheart busy, and caught some great stuff! Enjoy!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Dale

good deal... always good times when you're with your kids in the woods... when you gonna get her started on bowfishing?...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

centerfire_223

She has been bowfishing several times. She doesn't shoot yet but she does like to take pictures. We get a picture of the fish bucket every time another fish goes in there. Though she is so high strung and impatient the trips are always short and sweet.

I don't bowfish much any more, I'm lucky if I go half a dozen times a year.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Dale

well I'm down here in east Carolina now, so if you need a partner in crime down around Santee let me know... I'm only about 6 hours to get over to your place from here too...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...