• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Reasoning in Speeches

Started by Hawks Feather, November 07, 2013, 10:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

This goes WAY back to my college speech class.  It gives some 'reasoning' that is made is speeches and presentations.  Seems like our current president is using some of them - well at least the 'reasoning' ones that are not based on fact.  Since many of these are part of obama speeches I just thought that I would share.

Inductive:  Is reasoning in which the premises seek to supply strong evidence for (not absolute proof of) the truth of the conclusion. While the conclusion of a deductive argument is supposed to be certain, the truth of an inductive argument is supposed to be probable, based upon the evidence given.

Deductive:  Deductive reasoning links premises with conclusions. If all premises are true, the terms are clear, and the rules of deductive logic are followed, then the conclusion reached is necessarily true.

Dicto Simpliciter:  Argument based on an unqualified generalization â€" Exercise is good, therefore everyone should exercise.

Hasty Generalization:  I can write, you can write, so everyone can write.

Post Hoc:  Whenever Jack goes along it rains.  Let him stay home today so it won’t rain.

Contradictory Premises:  If God can do anything, then God can make a rock so heavy that He can’t lift it.

Argumentum ad Misericordiam:  When asked for your qualifications give a sob story about your poor family life, etc.

False Analogy:  Students should be able to look at books while taking tests because lawyers look at notes when presenting their case.

Hypothesis Contrary to the Facts:  If John had not found Jane’s sock, it never would have been found.

Poisoning the Well:  My opponent is a liar, you can’t believe a word he says.

FinsnFur

Speaking of Obama speeches...I think I got more out of this post then I ever did any Obama speech.

I'm just sayin  :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com