• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

The frost flowers have bloomed

Started by coyote101, November 14, 2014, 07:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

The temperature dropped to 25 degrees last night and the frost flowers were out this morning.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

slagmaker

Cool!!

I went out this morning and didn't see anything and it made it to 18 here last night
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

possumal

I think those things are beautiful.  Thanks for posting those, Pat.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Hawks Feather

Since we don't have them around here I forget about them till I see the posts about them.  I really wish we had them here - they look really neat.  Thanks for the pictures.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

Jim its so cold it would make your teeth hurt a give a brain freeze.

FinsnFur

Oh heck that wont bother me. I was out on the back porch this morning in my skivvies getting some fire wood and it was 12 degrees out.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

riverboss

msmith

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 15, 2014, 10:09:10 AM
Oh heck that wont bother me. I was out on the back porch this morning in my skivvies getting some fire wood and it was 12 degrees out.

TMI  :eyebrownod:
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Okanagan

Pat, those are fascinating.  I've never seen anything like that in my life, though we live in a cold enough region to have plenty of frost, from near sea level to high peaks.  Wonder what causes them where you are and not here? :shrug:

coyote101

Quote from: Okanagan on November 21, 2014, 11:44:17 AM
Pat, those are fascinating.  I've never seen anything like that in my life, though we live in a cold enough region to have plenty of frost, from near sea level to high peaks.  Wonder what causes them where you are and not here? :shrug:

Clyde,

It only happens under certain conditions with a few types of reedy plants. Those plants probably don't grow where you are. The ground has to be moist, but not frozen. The moisture is apparently extruded through the pores or slits in the plant walls and freezes on contact with the cold air. They make some truly fascinating and beautiful formations, but they are delicate and don't last long in the sunshine or when the temperature rises above freezing. They are much like snowflakes in that no two are alike.

Here are a few more from the other morning:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

coyote101

NRA Life Member

Okanagan

Excellent explanation.  Makes sense.  Thanks.

FinsnFur

I still wanna eat one :shrug:
They'd kinda make cool cake decorations. Dont ya think?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 21, 2014, 08:41:48 PM
I still wanna eat one :shrug:
They'd kinda make cool cake decorations. Dont ya think?

Yes, pick them in the cold and stick them in a freezer immediately.  They would be beautiful on some kind of ice cream cake.  Good idea.  Wonder if they would take food coloring or if we could put colored water in the reedy plant ?