• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Cancer and people who have it.

Started by trailtwister, October 20, 2015, 08:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailtwister

They discovered my dad had cancer of the bladder in 2003 he was 83. They operated and the doc said they got it all. All dad was supposed to do was walk regular and change the dressings on the incisions. Mom could not get him to move more than from his easy chair to the dinner table or to the bed. Changing the dressings was a chore because he did want to move out of that chair.
Mom asked me to come spend a bit of time and whip him into doing what he was supposed to do as he did seem to listen to me. I arrived and the next morning the stiches let go so he had to go back to the hospital and get restiched. I figure that put a scare into him as I had no trouble getting him to walk around for about 45 minutes every 3 hours and get the dressings changed properly.

Father in law got really sick with pneumonia and was put in the hospital. During a MRI they discovered spots on his colon farther exams showed it to be cancer of the colon. He did all the chemo as they wanted but refused radiation claiming that radiation just spread the cancer more. Of course that was a old wife's tale he had heard off and on thru his life. I have heard some my self and don't under stand how people cam believe some of that crap.
The did a operating and cut it out, doctor said so. But wanted dad to still have Chemo dad told him that the chemo made him sick and tired and since he had cut it all out he wasn't going to take Chemo. Doctor lied he didn't get it all when he cut most of it out because they found it again just 6 months latter. Dad did chemo and finally in his last month of living he allowed them to do radiation. It was from first finding it till he passed 6 years.

Nearly 2 years now my daughter discovered a lump in her breast in July but never bothered to get a doctors appointment till in December when that lump was causing pain.  She lives in Wisconsin right on the border of Minnesota and her doctors were all a part of the famed Mayo clinic. Found the cancer was stage 3.5 and a fast growing one had spread to lymph nodes. A very tight schedule of chemo was given along with radiation and they finally stopped its growth down. Then all the operations she had to endure 2 to remove 6 lymph nodes infected. Then a double Mastectomy, then reconstruct surgery. Almost a year later she was cancer free but was having problems with the reconstruct so went thru another operation to remove all that crap.
Today almost two years later she is fine well she never was really all there I've felt, who in there right mind finds running a 50 mile marathon fun. But is a 50K 50 miles?
http://chippewa.com/sports/local/cantley-conquers-cancer-turns-attention-to-chippewa-k/article_ce4da56a-0f9e-5509-8849-f6fa30df1fe6.html

At the same time my daughter was going thru her ordeal my brother found out he had cancer of the esophagus. He is my brother so I will call him as I see it a dumb ass. He put treatment off because he didn't want it done in the late winter. Finally in the spring with me raising hell he finally started Chemo. he wasn't even listening to his wife, every thing wa son his terms. Finally spring is here and he goes in to have an operation to cut out the effected area of his esophagus out. Spent a good amount of time in the hospital recovering and was having meetings with people trying to teach him what he needed to know about eating different. Day he is to be released he get some chicken caught in his throat ends up 28 more days in the hospital. 
In August they discovered a lump on his liver during a MRI to see how his esophagus was healing. In early  Sept he still had not seen a doctor messed around listened to me rant and rail at him even asked if he wanted to die soon? Finally end of Sept he gets a operation for a biopsy. Yup it is cancer stage 4 and yet he is still messing around  won't start chemo till after Oct 26th. I just don't under stand people thinking cancer may go away if they wait long enough.

Thank you for reading this rant.

:eyebrownod:  Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

FinsnFur

I heard or read that everyone has cancer of some sort and dont know it as most of the time it lay dormant until...well until whenever. :shrug: I have no idea if thats true or not. But I do think most people that put off help to known cancer, do it out of fear. Im not saying its right, or I feel that way too, but I'm sure thats an excuse for many.
Yah we both know the end results is much more to fear but :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

trailtwister

My father in law would get pretty sick from the chemo and said it was better than the alternative.
Daughter said no hair and no boobs was still way better than looking up to see silk or what that cloth is in the casket.

I have also heard that every one has domeant  cancer but they don't know what triggers it active.

slagmaker

Fear. Plain and simple. But for each individual the fear is of something diffrent. Some it is the fear of the cancer for some it is the fear of the fight. There are even those that are afraid of how others would treat them during there struggle with it.

Fear is a powerfull emotion. It can paralyze or motivate. The trick is making it motivate. And that's easier said than done
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Okanagan

We had a nurse friend who ignored a lump in her breast till it was in extreme stage, and was given six months to live.  She knew better, knew what it was, and still avoided getting it checked.   :shrug:  She lived for nine more feisty good years.  Tough gal but it got her.

Sorry to hear about your daughter but glad that she is doing well. 

riverboss

I have lost 14 aunts and uncles cousins and a brother to cancer!  Its a bad dude.
I hope I don't have to face it myself I know I'm not half as tough as they were I just can't picture being able to watch my life just creep away in the way cancer takes it.
I have the up most respect for cancer survivors there are no tougher people.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

trailtwister

My daughter runs with a group of ladies who are all cancer savior's.

:eyebrownod:   Al

trailtwister

My daughter is on the left in the picture.

riverboss

That looks like a happy bunch of lady's!

trailtwister

Their crazy :alscalls: each and every one of them.  :shrug: I think the chemo and radiation did it. One thing they when they got Chemo and were felling real sick and didn't feel like cooking and eating those girls banded together and made 3 meals a day for a week for the family that all you had to do was put in the micro wave to heat up.

riverboss

There happy to have a second chance and a whole different outlook on life I'm sure. Treasure her and her friends they are beautiful inside and out with a fresh lease on life and very thankfully I'm sure.

FinsnFur

Thats pretty neat. Kudos to every one of them ladies :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

trailtwister

They call them selves the Ragnar girls where they first banded together to run a 24 hour relay race many years ago.
Still crazy, nuttier than a box car load of fruit cakes.