• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Bear Kills 11-Year-Old After Dragging Boy From Tent

Started by KySongDog, June 18, 2007, 10:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Wow....can you just imagine the horror the kid must have been going through?  :sad:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

I really don't think that people really appreciate the swing in the pendulum that is occurring. I think the conflicts will continue to increase. We were not raised in an environment that included this level of risk and our grandchildren may be increasingly put in this situation.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. There is a balance point and we are quickly moving off it. I'm not against having a survivable apex predator population if there is a management system to best ensure where they are located and human activity in those areas properly perpared to deal with the risks that were not in those areas only a few years ago.

The current approach is a head in the sand approach I think. How many kids need to be dragged from their tents or off hiking trails before a thoughtful and balanced proactive strategy is developed? A sign on a board is a joke.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

slagmaker

I am an Eagle scout and have been to Philmont NM for a hiking trip. The year I was there they had a couple bear attacks. The attacks were preventable. The people that were attacked did not follow safe camping guidlines like dont use "musk/scented" deoderant, change clothes after cooking and so on. If you are going to be camping in areas that have dnagerous wildlife you should know how to prepair so that you can prevent run ins with the animals that can bite back.

I feel for the family of the boy and Jim you ar right the shear horror that must have been going throuigh that boys mind is unimajinable.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

bowjunkie

I feel for the kid man what horror but they were not using any smarts there was a bear in that area a few dayss before causin trouble and they went and camped any way ugh  :doh2:  it was posted to  primative camping when they coulda stayed a mile back down the road in a safer place ....and they didn't have a damn flashlite  :shck:  so sad

catskinner

Come on guys, do I hear a little of that impose more rules to protect everybody. I hope not, I think that people need to be aware themselfes about where they are camping and what to do, like slagmaker said you need to have some comon sense about camping. However this was a rare case, usually bear will come into camp and break into the cooler or try to get into a vehicle, black bear don't usually attack humans.

studabaka

I don't think anyone is suggesting impose more rules, but the reality is that there is basically a generation coming through that is largely ignorant of the risk. Their exposure and notion of what apex predators are is walt disney or a nature channel documentary. They don't see the risk, don't know how to manage the risk, and walk straight into it clueless. In addition there is a broad based wildlife management approach that basically ignores the fact that apex predators are on the increase in inhabited areas and takes no action other than after the fact.

I think that there is room for a little proactive and selective management and education.

An example..... I believe that if you compare the cat population of Utah to Colorado or California you will find that they are similar, however you will also find that attacks on humans by cats in Utah is significantly lower..... why?..... IMO it is because it is legal to run [not necessarily take] cats in Utah with dogs. They associate humans with dogs and are more leary as a result of it. If the wildlife management process allowed running cats and bears with dogs in areas surrounding human inhabitated areas there is a likelihood of apex predators being less bold. I don't own dogs and have never run dogs. It's just my view based on what I have heard and read. There is also a need for education [not rules]. Folks need to clearly understand and appreciate that there are greater numbers of predators and that if they encounter them it will most likely not ressemble a nature channel documentary.

I hear and understand the 'that was an exception, that is unusual ' argument, but I think if you look at the statistics, you will find that what was an exception, or what was unusual, is occuring more frequently and at a growing rate.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

education not rules
That sums it up right there, I agree 100%

There is basically a generation coming through that is largely ignorant of the risk is an excellent way to put it Stu.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

simply put  "Education not legistlation"

I bet if someone looked into it that boy had some snacks in his sleeping bag or had eaten something in his tent. VERY VERY big no no's when camping anywhere!

Ever wake up with a skunk in your tent? I know someone who did :puke:!! Dont know who was more scared, The boys or the skunk but I do know which one made the most lasting impression. EVERYTHING in the tent but the two boys was burned. All that over a 50 cent candy bar.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

bowjunkie

Quote from: catskinner on June 22, 2007, 10:56:16 PM
Come on guys, do I hear a little of that impose more rules to protect everybody. I hope not, I think that people need to be aware themselfes about where they are camping and what to do, like slagmaker said you need to have some comon sense about camping. However this was a rare case, usually bear will come into camp and break into the cooler or try to get into a vehicle, black bear don't usually attack humans.

lol theres enough rules but my opinion this is just one more reason stupid people shouldn't breed could give em a sign  :doh2: oh wait there was one  :readthis: they chose not to use common sense

Stu we can run cats with dogs still here in Co there's just a lot more people moving into the lions playground in Co than Utah

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 23, 2007, 12:53:13 AM
education not rules
That sums it up right there, I agree 100%

There is basically a generation coming through that is largely ignorant of the risk is an excellent way to put it Stu.

I agree too.   And I always carry a gun no matter where I go as added insurance.  The two legged predators worry me more than the four legged types.