• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Need your input

Started by Bills Custom Calls, July 15, 2007, 04:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bills Custom Calls

Here are 2 deer grunts The one on the right is the one I made today it is Not finished needs sanding what i need to know is which one would you rather take hunting the one on the right has a 1/2 inch hole then opens into 3/4 it is very easy to blow and get a great sound.
The one on the left is the first one I made has a 3/4 hole all the way through it takes a little more air to  get the grunts and isn't quite as comfortable on the mouth.

So tell me if you would

Thanks
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

iahntr

Hey Bill. I haven't messed with a grunt call yet. Going off strictly what you are saying, I would go with the design  that you get the better sound out of, and is more "user friendly".    Scott
Scott

Hawks Feather

Bill,

I have to agree - go for the sound.  But like iahntr, I have little to no experience using a grunt call.  I have a couple, but have never used them in the field and they didn't call a thing here in the house.

Jerry

The Rock

What about adding a 1/2 intake (Mouthpiece) to the call with the large opening to make it like the other?

It shouldn't be a problem to laminate an end on it and make it work like the 2nd one.  :shrug:

Bills Custom Calls

The 1 with the large intake is sold and goes in the mail on Monday so there won't be any changes to that one but it sounds as if I will build them with the smaller mouth piece and they will be user freindly also

Thanks for your input

HaMeR

I think if' it's easier to use then it will make better sounds.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

awh

I think you should send it to VA for some field testing :biggrin: Or have the VA crew come up there since Ohio has bigger bucks. :innocentwhistle:

Nice calls Bill. I agree, go with what is easier to use and sounds better.

Cam is going to turn a few of those for gifts this Christmas. Ummm, one of which will be for dad since he's the one that bought all the reeds for him. :readthis:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

FinsnFur

I've got a grunt call that sounds real nice after eating McDonalds and having a couple Budlights, and the air hole is smaller then both of those, so  :shrug:

It's not for sale either  :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

rainshadow1

Turning down offers is probably the last thing you have to worry about, Jim!
     (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say, it probably sounds good though!)

Bill, I like the step idea. Great wrinkle! Likely takes less air ot make it go, less work, less body movement, easier to control... sounds like a better idea from all angles if you ask me. Way to think outside the box!

Bills Custom Calls

Jimbo the air it takes to make your grunt work probably smells like shit also  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Danny some day I am going to send some calls out for feild testing You may have to tall me why you think your a good candidate for the cause on the other hand if you and lil man come to Ohio for a deer hunt you just might qualify.

Thanks for everyones input

Carolina Coyote

I think you hit on a good idea bnccont with the smaller opening on the mouth piece, I've noticed that with Predator Calls that havea smaller opening and smaller diameter at the mouth are much easier to blow and control the sound, may be just me and the way I try to blow them but smaller is better. Let me know when you get one made up I am looking for one.cc

cb223

That sounds to be a great idea! If the smaller hole is user friendly and sounds good, go with it.

I have made a few grunts too. I agree it took alot of air to get them started. I ended up sanding the tip of the reed about 1/2 way back .002- .003 thinner and putting a little 45 deg. up ward bend at the tip.

It took alot less air and I thought it sounded better.
CHAD

awh

Quote from: bnccont on July 16, 2007, 04:15:38 PM

Danny some day I am going to send some calls out for feild testing You may have to tall me why you think your a good candidate for the cause on the other hand if you and lil man come to Ohio for a deer hunt you just might qualify.

Whens season open? :biggrin: Do we get to meet Bob & HaMeR & all the rest of the gang?  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Cam may have to start turning again real soon so he can buy his dad an out-of-state license.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.