• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Poor man's bench rest

Started by possumal, August 11, 2007, 10:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

Any of you guys who want a good portable bench rest at a good price, here is what I did that has worked well for me.  I went to Harbor Freight discount, and bought a Skil work table, similar to a Workmate.  It only cost $29.95 and is really functional with good features for either a gun cleaning station or a portable bench rest.  It is compact, easy to carry, easy to set up.  The cradle shown in the pictures was made for me by a late friend back in 1964.  It is made of brass and is threaded to receive a standard pipe flange, one on top of the table surface, one underneath, making it easy to adjust for height.  It could be made out of regular plumbing pipe just as well.  It makes a super sturdy bench rest.  I am currently working on a way to independently adjust each leg for leveling purposes on uneven ground.  I have built several bench rests, ranging from ironing boards modified to collapsible models, but this thing is so much neater and easier all the way around.

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Bills Custom Calls

Find a piece of pipe that will fit in the legs  and that will be a good start for an ajustable leg If ya want to know the rest of my Idea let me know

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

FinsnFur

Good idea.
One question, how tough is it to get right next to the table top with those "V" shape legs?
You know how most shooting tables are cut out on the side for the shooter.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

possumal

Jim & all:  You have to take a sabre saw or saws all and modify the back corner on the side opposite of the tightening handles. Basically you just make a concave cut on the corner, starting about 12 to 15 inches towards the front, and ending about 5 to 6 inches across the back edge.  The adjustment for the leg levelers can easily be made out of 4 pieces of angle aluminum with a series of holes about 1 inch apart, done on a drill press for consistency, and two corresponding holes in each leg.  Just insert a couple of clevis type pins in each leg and adjust one time at each setup.  Lots of times you don't have to change a thing.  I'll make another post when I get this phase completed.  There is ample room the way the legs are configured to cozy right up to the bench with that left rear corner modified.  Also, you don't have to leave the tray made of rubber underneath if it is in your way. It didn't bother me at setting up at all.

P.S.  I plan on letting old Weedwalker use it a bunch before this fall season gets under way  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

weedwalker

Quote from: possumal on August 12, 2007, 06:20:08 AM
P.S.  I plan on letting old Weedwalker use it a bunch before this fall season gets under way  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Probably would be a good idea. If I remember right, I think I did miss one or two last year. :wo: But the sun was in my eyes, my elbow was itching, had a cramp in my leg, and it was really windy for a calm day. :eyebrownod:

Carolina Coyote

Weedwaker I think you would make a fine candidate for Dancing with the Stars. :roflmao: :roflmao:

coyotehunter_1

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

HaMeR

Quoteand it was really windy for a calm day.  :eyebrownod:

You know,,, those days get me too. :rolleye:  An awful lot!! :laf: :laf:

Nice bench setup!! I like it. :congrats: :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

possumal

I found out by a little experimenting that it works out better to give up the clamping feature, which allows you to move the board on the side where you sit all the way out to the edge closest you.  Then I laminated a board in between the clamping boards, and then took a hole saw and drilled a hole for the cradle.  I did not have to make a concave cut to allow your chest to fit up tight to the table after doing this, just rounded off the back left corner and it works fine.  I'll post some pictures of the finished product when I get the leg levelers worked out tomorrow.   :confused:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff