• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Another one of my famous senior moments

Started by possumal, October 11, 2007, 03:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

Fellow yoters, this senior moment thing is getting to happen far too regularly to suit this old possum.  After breaking in the new Foxpro Scorpion in great fashion weekend before last, I headed back to the fields before daylight this past Sunday morning. Picked up my older grandson hunting buddy, Josh, and slipped into a nice setup on a farm he had permission to hunt.  First senior moment was realized when I discovered I had left my clear lens bifocals at home, leaving me with my blue blocker "Rose colored glasses". Man, that don't work too well before daylight.  Well, nothing to do but make the best of it.  Cut loose with a long lonesome howl on my Cronk buffalo horn howler, followed up by a couple of pup howls on my Sceery AP-5.  Two minutes or so later, I turned the Scorpion on, which was hanging in a bush by a sinkhole about 75 yds downhill from our position, and gave the interrogation howl with it, followed by a pup howl.  Waited another minute or two, activated the JIB with the squeaker voice, and everything got way too wild and western for an old coyote hunter with the wrong glasses on. Two big yotes came in from the left hollow and three from the right hollow, all bearing down on the JIB.  I flat out missed one at 100 yds, with just his head and neck showing, and then smacked a big male at 260 yds, standing broadside.  Coyotes were running in all directions, and I couldn't see anything very well.  When all settled down, and we finally concluded all the Coyote Death Cries in the world were not going to bring any of the others back, we walked over to the one I smacked at 260 yds.  Very little blood trail, and we followed it up to a big old thick place, just chock full of logs and briars, and a big hole going back under a big log.  Since the blood trail went right in that direction, we assumed he made it into that hole, and headed back to the truck.  My grandson got a call next morning from the landowner, happy "Peepaw and Josh" had killed a big male. As it turned out, he had gone about twenty yards past that pile of brush, and was graveyard dead.  It was later on Monday afternoon before I could get back down there to try to capture a picture or two.  Well, the buzzards and the maggots and God knows what else had reduced that handsome devil to the nastiest pile of nothing I've ever seen.  I decided to take a picture anyway, and got all the way back home to my computer before I realized that I had the camera set on movie mode, and the picture was so bad it wasn't worth posting.  I hope I got rid of all these senior moments on this one trip, as I don't believe I can stand another one like this one. The Scorpion sure did its thing, but I sure wish I had done mine.  Worst of all, my grandson is still laughing about it.  :madd: :madd:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

nailbender

:laf:  Thanks for the story Al.  Hopefully you got those 'moments' all taken care of for the year!

HaMeR

Them aint senior moments!! :nofgr:

Thats rust!!  :wink:   

You'll get it all knocked off real quick I'm guessing. :wink:

Nice write up & keep after em Peepaw & Josh!! :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

You guys buying that?  :innocentwhistle:
I think he's full of beans  :shrug: :wink: :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

possumal

Why Jim, are you trying to tan my possum pelt?  :roflmao:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

studabaka

Sounds like a senior moment I wouldn't mind having  :eyebrow:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

THO Game Calls

Is this where someone comes in and says

"wake up dear, it's time to wake up and pee"  ??   :roflmao:

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

studabaka

:roflmao: :roflmao: your killing me Al  :roflmao: :roflmao:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

possumal

:roflmao:From one Al to another Al, if it was a dream, it sure was a nightmare!  The responding coyotes were fun, but the rest of the senior moment, I could do without.  My grandson, Josh, couldn't care less what you call it--it was hilarious to him.  Somehow, it didn't strike my funny bone, and I don't guess it amused the big old male either.  I have a close friend who says this aging thing is all about coping, but the coping saw has always been my weakest tool in the box.  I'd like to blame it on being so busy, but that would sure be a copout.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

THO Game Calls

I'm still trying to understand the 260 yard shot.

If I shot at something 260 yards away here, I would be shooting across two roads, through the shopping mall parking lot, past the church, 4 houses, the gas station, and the 7-11.

A 100 yard shot here is the straightaway on the intersate. 

Heck,  back in the day, if they were 260 yards away, we called in an air stirke.

It was a good story Al, and I can relate to havng days like that

I was just funning ya.

Al

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

possumal

Al: I knew you were funning, and that is no problem with me.  I guess I ought to laugh at myself like my grandson is doing, as it is easy to get too serious about a fun thing.  Long shots are common on a lot of the farms I hunt.   I can call them in a lot closer, but I get a kick out of the long shots.  A lot of the areas here in central Ky. that did afford some great coyote hunting have been developed, and it is dangerous to hunt around the subdivisions with a high powered rifle.  The coyotes are still there, as they just adapt to whatever they have to.  Right here in Jessamine County, there is one big farm where I have called in and killed over 100 coyotes over the years, but haven't been able to hunt there for the past four years due to the subdivisions developing.  At the rate we are "Progressing", I fear some of our grandchildren will have a hard time getting a place to hunt.  I used to think my dad was a bit off his rocker when he would tell me and my brother that we'd see the day when good rabbit hunting would be hard to come by, but his predictions were dead on correct.  Between the developing and the change in agricultural practices, especially raising so much fescue and the mowing techniques, and the spread of old Wylie, all the rabbits live in town now for the most part.  Also, when I was growing up, nearly everyone in Clover Bottom (Woodford County, Ky.) were related to dad, and now you would be hard pressed to find even a distant cousin.  All the farms have changed hands, and they all seem to want to make their farm look like their yard looked in the city.  Most every farm down there now have more deer than rabbits, which is one strange turn around if you saw how many rabbits and quail used to be there.  Sounds like your part of the country has all those problems and then some.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff