• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

How long does a reed last

Started by Bills Custom Calls, October 27, 2007, 08:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bills Custom Calls

Hamer and I had breakfast with a feller today that wants to learn to hunt coyotes. He bought 2 of my calls and had no idea how to use them. so here we are in the parking lot with a few hand calls all made from different artist.As we were teaching this feller what we know  he asked How long will a reed last in a custom built call?

As I looked at Hamer we both said not sure.Don't know if there is an answer to this question

I know it depends on the wheather the amount of use or misuse the call gets.
Can anyone shed a little light on this subject

Thanks
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

slagmaker

Not sure myself but it would really all depend on the material it is made from. and like you said the use and abuse it receives.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

When my kids were younger, I got a new call from someone and the 3 year old found it on the table the day it came.
That Mylar reed lasted roughly 4 hours.  :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

satch

Man thats a hard one to answer, are you referring to an open reed or closed?

Todd Rahm

Its perty much the luck of the draw, as there are several factors that play at hand..

1. Being that the JC reed is mass produced, and with that quality control is an issue sometimes. While a high % of reeds are good, ya just might get a batch or reed that was justa lil' off some where.

2. The next factor is if ya have a call spinner that tunes reeds. Sometimes a tuned reed is more fragile, not always though, depends on whats done.

3. Lastly in my book would be the user, and in most cases, its the caller that really lays into the calls. (I have done this myself) The harder ya blow the hard you are on the call.

I have one Rhino that I use, and since I have had it for maybe 8 years, I have yet to replace the reed. I have one production JS call in the truck for practice, last resort or just for the kids to blow on, and its never been replaced. I have also had several calls that I have replced the reed in once a year, and several calls where I blew the reed out of whack on the first try.

So as I said again and its just my opinion............its the luck of the draw.

A side note for those interested. The older call builders used to send a call out with one or more extra reeds when they shipped calls, and this is probably why.

Jimmie in Ky

I have not replaced a reed yet in the calls I carry. Some of them are at least fifteen years old. Both my cronlk open reeds have been in regular service since 02 and have held up very well. Now if lab pups or kids get a hold of them all bets are off.I will be putting that reed assembly back in another call soon though. Jimmie

Todd Rahm

Jimmie where the heck ya been hiding?  :confused:

I still have calls with Wintress reeds in them that work just fine and a few with old brass reeds too.  :biggrin:

Rich

With an enclosed JC reed it will highly depend on how hard you blow the call. They will last many years if ya don't blow em too dang hard.  With an open Mylar reed, my biggest problem has been with customers who  bite down on the reed when they call. I have seen reeds with deep teeth marks in them from being bitten to death.  Hey Jimmie, it,s good to hear from Ya! I though you had went to take a dump and the wild hogs ate ya or something.  :wink:
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

Bills Custom Calls

Thanks to everyone that replied.Atleast I have some sort of answer for the next time I am asked this question

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call