• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Muzzle Loader Procedures

Started by cb223, October 26, 2007, 07:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb223

There is so many different methods to obtain optimum accuracy in a muzzle loader. Spit patch between shots, never clean between shots, always between shots, ect, ect,ect....

I am wondering what all of you guys do?

How do YOU get YOUR muzzle loader to shoot the best and what is your best?
CHAD

HaMeR

The best way to get the optimum load in a ML is just like reloading for a centerfire. Use loose powder so you can tweak the load. The stiffness of the sabot when being seated makes a difference too. Some like em hammer down the tube tight & others don't mind a slip fit. My Winchester likes em real snug. I use the 250gr T/C Shock Waves or the 250gr Knight Ultimate Slam Copper solids with the poly tips over 90grs of loose  fffg Triple7 powder & any 209 primer. I tried all the 209 primers & the groups weren't affected either way with any. When I seat the bullet/sabot I set it rather tight to the powder.  Also when using loose powder it is important to stand the ML up straight so the powder lays even under the sabot. A few taps will help settle the powder & eliminate a pressure spike from any air spaces that might be there. I'm lucky in that my cold barrel shot & my 2nd  & 3rd shots with a spit patch impact within 1" of each other at 100yds.  Most 3 shot 100yd groups are right close to 1 1/2". All 5 shot groups are always under 2".  This load will open a softball sized exit hole if shoulder bone is hit. Very devestating projectiles for sure.

HTH
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

wv_yoter

cb223, I have tried several different combinations of bullets and primers but always used triple seven pellets. I had the best groups (and still use) Hornaday 240 gr Lock and Load sabots and Remington clean bore primers and 100 grains of Triple 7. Three shot groups in a snuff can @ 100 yards, I clean the barrel every third shot.
Jason

Hawks Feather

While I have not shot much black powder rifles recently, my experiences were similar to Glen's.  Each rifle liked different approaches.  I found one that liked to be packed down pretty hard when I got mad making some really bad shots.  Smacked the ramrod in using a palm saver and it shot pretty good.  Kept it up as long as I kept smacking the ram rod.  Cleaning - I always tried to clear out some of the crud after each shot when using true black powder.  The newer powders like Triple Seven have changed that.

Jerry

cb223

OK guys this is what I do. It might or might not be different than what you do.

I have a Knight Bighorn with a 28 inch barrel and Nikon 3x9 Omega scope . When I was looking for a muzzle loader, I wanted to increase my range over my shotgun.

I wanted a longer barrel(more velocity = longer range, I hunt fields, sometimes), stainless( easier to clean ) and to be able to handle magnum charges.

When I first started to develop a load people kept telling me to down load to achieve the best accuracy. I refuse!!!! I bought a modern muzzle loader to extend my range!!!!!!!! I am NOT going to down load!!!!

After much testing( all with 3 50 grn pellets of pyrodex, winchester 209 primers and around 10 different bullets ) I settled on 3 pyrodex 50 grn pellets(150 grns), 250 grn TC shockwave bullets and winchester 209 primers. Between every shot( even in the field ) I run a patch down the barrel soaked with TC #13 bore cleaner followed by 2 dry patches. This has by far given ME the best results with MY combination. I get around 1 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards, sometimes better sometimes worse.

I have shot about a dozen deer with this combination, the farthest being 175 yards. All but two of them (one of them made it 50 yards the other about 3 steps) dropped in their tracks.

In MY experience this combination has proved to be very accurate and very lethal!
CHAD